Pics
I mean, they are not terrible. But they look more like a high volume retailer. Not a specialty breeder. I think you would be better off with a breeder or an expo. IMO big online retailers aren’t much different than pet stores. And at pet stores you can choose your animal at least.
Ah okay that makes sense! They do seem quite high volume based on the sheer number of reviews. I had considered going to a reptile show/expo thing too or possibly even Craigslist ??? There are tons of shows around here and tons of reptiles on CL. I know Craigslist isn’t always the best but I’ve seen some good ones on there. Our area seems to have more reptiles and fish as opposed to dogs and stuff hahah what about the other ones? Would they be considered high volume/not great too or just the XYZ one? The others at least you can choose your animal hahah

Ah okay that makes sense! They do seem quite high volume based on the sheer number of reviews. I had considered going to a reptile show/expo thing too or possibly even Craigslist ??? There are tons of shows around here and tons of reptiles on CL. I know Craigslist isn’t always the best but I’ve seen some good ones on there. Our area seems to have more reptiles and fish as opposed to dogs and stuff hahah what about the other ones? Would they be considered high volume/not great too or just the XYZ one? The others at least you can choose your animal hahah

I would strongly recommend that you avoid CL for your first reptile because of the added risk of undisclosed problems. Wait till you are more experienced before trying to go that route.

I have never actually been to an expo (but I really want to!) but I assume it would more similar to my experience buying Tad from a local, very reptile-savvy pet shop. You can hold the animal to assess temperament, check over them for any problems, and get advice from knowledgeable people. 🙌

FWIW Hoshi is from a breeder sorta like that first place you linked. https://www.geckoboa.com/
I chose this breeder because they offer tons of info about themselves, there animals, and how to care for them. As a good breeder should!!!

I don’t think XYZ is shady per say. But they are a middleman. Other cons were the fact that they sell some species that make bad pets, they sell wild some caught animals, and their website has very little information about themselves, the animals, or care. To be fair though, those cons are also true of most big box chains.

I would strongly recommend that you avoid CL for your first reptile because of the added risk of undisclosed problems. Wait till you are more experienced before trying to go that route.

I have never actually been to an expo (but I really want to!) but I assume it would more similar to my experience buying Tad from a local, very reptile-savvy pet shop. You can hold the animal to assess temperament, check over them for any problems, and get advice from knowledgeable people. 🙌

FWIW Hoshi is from a breeder sorta like that first place you linked. https://www.geckoboa.com/
I chose this breeder because they offer tons of info about themselves, there animals, and how to care for them. As a good breeder should!!!

I don’t think XYZ is shady per say. But they are a middleman. Other cons were the fact that they sell some species that make bad pets, they sell wild some caught animals, and their website has very little information about themselves, the animals, or care. To be fair though, those cons are also true of most big box chains.
Thanks for all the advice and input! You’ve been very helpful!! I really think I might go with the reptile expo route if/when I do it because that seems like it would be a lot of fun! I love seeing all the different reptiles and things hahah or possibly the Wilbanks one since they’re gorgeous. :love if I ever get a gecko, your place looks amazing!! :love

Thanks for all the advice and input! You’ve been very helpful!! I really think I might go with the reptile expo route if/when I do it because that seems like it would be a lot of fun! I love seeing all the different reptiles and things hahah or possibly the Wilbanks one since they’re gorgeous. :love if I ever get a gecko, your place looks amazing!! :love
Oh the website for Geckoboa was just so you could see an example of a really good, honest and ethical breeder and learn what to look for on a breeder website. I know you want a snek ;)

Oh the website for Geckoboa was just so you could see an example of a really good, honest and ethical breeder and learn what to look for on a breeder website. I know you want a snek ;)
I actually want a Leo eventually too! Hahah and a beardie and crested 😂🙈 I need like a whole reptile room hahah

Back
Top Bottom