Requesting advice for converting a shed into a Coop and building a run

I think it will do well. Just install per manufacture recommendations. Is it windy there?
I was fortunate in that the former owner here left some aluminum roofing sheets here used but still it’s a chicken coop.

Do you want a poop board?
They work best at a 2' width with roost centered,
would be a tight fit lengthwise in that space.
Could go 4x4 board with roosts at 12 and 24 from wall for your 7 birds.

I bought corrugated plastic roofing on clearance. It blocks 99% of UV rays but allows sunlight in. This will keep the run dry but also debating on providing shaded areas. Pros/cons of this roofing choice?
Could work well, installed with mfg recommended or better support for snowload. Could always throw a shade cloth over it in summer if deeper shade is needed.

Do you want a poop board?
They work best at a 2' width with roost centered,
would be a tight fit lengthwise in that space.
Could go 4x4 board with roosts at 12 and 24 from wall for your 7 birds.

Could work well, installed with mfg recommended or better support for snowload. Could always throw a shade cloth over it in summer if deeper shade is needed.
I think I’ll take this advice. 4 x 4 board with roosts at 12 and 24”. Should i do 2 boards for easier removal/cleaning? I’m going to do sweet PDC, but i imagine I’ll need to remove them eventually, no?

Also directly underneath I’m going to fence it in so that it can be an introduction cage.

I think I’ll take this advice. 4 x 4 board with roosts at 12 and 24”. Should i do 2 boards for easier removal/cleaning? I’m going to do sweet PDC, but i imagine I’ll need to remove them eventually, no?
Depends on how you want to use and build your boards.
I don't remove boards or roosts to sift poops out daily, but they are only held in by a couple screws, so easy to remove if necessary. Which I've had to do once to repair/improve them. They are just sitting on brackets, then a couple screws thru the top back edge into the shed studs. You could probably screw cleats to the wall, sides and back to support yours, and not even have to screw them into place.

Mine are made from Luan(1/4" underlayment) and 2x2 edges,
and lined with heavy duty foam backed vinyl to protect luan.

Also directly underneath I’m going to fence it in so that it can be an introduction cage.
Sounds like a good plan.
Might be hard to reach under 4', unless you are much more limber than I.
I have a piece of cardboard when necessary to get on hands and knees in coop and run.

Depends on how you want to use and build your boards.
I don't remove boards or roosts to sift poops out daily, but they are only held in by a couple screws, so easy to remove if necessary. Which I've had to do once to repair/improve them. They are just sitting on brackets, then a couple screws thru the top back edge into the shed studs. You could probably screw cleats to the wall, sides and back to support yours, and not even have to screw them into place.

Mine are made from Luan(1/4" underlayment) and 2x2 edges,
and lined with heavy duty foam backed vinyl to protect luan.

Sounds like a good plan.
Might be hard to reach under 4', unless you are much more limber than I.
I have a piece of cardboard when necessary to get on hands and knees in coop and run.
I hear you. I’m still limber :) I plan to do the deep litter method. On the floor, there is acces to the run so I will get airflow. I plan to secure it further with hardware mesh. Question... if I’m sifting poop out of the poop board every few days, does that negate the pupose of the deep litter method? I just want to keep it as clean and maintenance free as possible which I assume is everyone’s goal.

Question... if I’m sifting poop out of the poop board every few days, does that negate the pupose of the deep litter method? I just want to keep it as clean and maintenance free as possible which I assume is everyone’s goal.
I would think so, yes.
Not sure tho as I don't do deep litter in the coop, only in the run.
I don't want the moisture it needs in the coop, nor do I want to deal with keeping it in good balance.

"clean and maintenance free" does not always go together.
I prefer to scoop poop daily(takes 5-10 minutes and goes to a friends compost pile),
and change out the dry shavings on the coop floor once or twice a year(which go into the deep litter in my run). Little maintenance and no odors(except for those fresh dropped cecals).

You could always put the roosts up in the same configuration and add a board later if you don't care for the deep litter.

Keep in mind the depth of the litter in relation to your pop door, people doors and I guess that negates the brooder under the poop board.

I hear you. I’m still limber :) I plan to do the deep litter method. On the floor, there is acces to the run so I will get airflow. I plan to secure it further with hardware mesh. Question... if I’m sifting poop out of the poop board every few days, does that negate the pupose of the deep litter method? I just want to keep it as clean and maintenance free as possible which I assume is everyone’s goal.

Your choice re" the poop boards with DL method. I could see advantages to either method. I think the big issue you will have is dealing with such a narrow space. I would definitely put the perches at the back of your coop space. Is there any option for you to build a clean out door behind them? You would not even need to disrupt the studs. Simply remove the siding at the lower portion and make a door to cover that area. I would make it at least 2' x 4. (3' x 4 might even be better.) That way, if you do not use a poop board, you can simply open the clean out door, and rake material out as needed. Add from the front, rake out from the back.

I do not use poop boards, but do use DL. My coop floor is plywood with vinyl overlay. My biggest issue with DL management is that things freeze solid during the winter months. So, the DL freezes, and gets capped with plenty of frozen poo. I was just out there flipping things yesterday. My DL is quite wet now, b/c the leaves were damp when they went into storage. I do wish folks would rake the leaves BEFORE the fall rains come. There is a very narrow window of time for harvesting leaves before they get wet!

DL works so much better with a soil floor.

I would think so, yes.
Not sure tho as I don't do deep litter in the coop, only in the run.
I don't want the moisture it needs in the coop, nor do I want to deal with keeping it in good balance.

"clean and maintenance free" does not always go together.
I prefer to scoop poop daily(takes 5-10 minutes and goes to a friends compost pile),
and change out the dry shavings on the coop floor once or twice a year(which go into the deep litter in my run). Little maintenance and no odors(except for those fresh dropped cecals).

You could always put the roosts up in the same configuration and add a board later if you don't care for the deep litter.

Keep in mind the depth of the litter in relation to your pop door, people doors and I guess that negates the brooder under the poop board.
Ok so maybe DL isn’t for me. If I did the poopboards, with pine shavings on the floor, how often would i need to completely remove the pine shavings and add new pine shavings?

how often would i need to completely remove the pine shavings and add new pine shavings?
Hard to give you a hard number, but with just 7 birds in that space I'd say probably once a year, maybe twice...you'd have to play it by eye and nose.
I put shavings about 2" deep at first, usually in the fall and spring, then add as the volume of shaving reduces. When the 'dust/fines' volume starts to exceed the shavings I change it out. I do stir things up a bit, push it out of the way daily when I sift boards, and fluff the rest on occasion.

Hard to give you a hard number, but with just 7 birds in that space I'd say probably once a year, maybe twice...you'd have to play it by eye and nose.
I put shavings about 2" deep at first, usually in the fall and spring, then add as the volume of shaving reduces. When the 'dust/fines' volume starts to exceed the shavings I change it out. I do stir things up a bit, push it out of the way daily when I sift boards, and fluff the rest on occasion.
Ohhh, that's not bad at all.
i found some bowed wood last night at Lowe’s. I figured the way I’m going to cut it the individual pieces will be straight enough for poop boards. Found 2 x 4 plywood as well and it will be the perfect sizes. Also will add linoleum as the bottom. Question. When I scoop out the poop from the pdc poop boards daily, can I have a trash can outside the coop to discard and then throw away the entire can weekly or will it attract flies?

Attachments

• C428CF42-FFC9-4271-A7F5-7909BF2302D4.png
    C428CF42-FFC9-4271-A7F5-7909BF2302D4.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom