Requesting advice for converting a shed into a Coop and building a run

D44C63B7-43AF-4F0F-911D-FB24069FDB59.jpeg
Here is a pic of the outside of the “shed” where I will build the run. Note there is concrete extended out about a foot from the structure.
Lots of possibilities here. Good that it’s on the south side. Heat is a huge issue for me. What type of wild critters do you have there? That will depend on how you build out run.
I’d cover it as well. Ive always used t-post for my post much easier and can be moved easier. Chicken math has required easy for me.
Do you have access to old building supplies or do you have a window there you can add to the coop? It could also be used as venting.
The height of roost depends on chickens abilities. Heavy birds lower roost. I like to use 2x4 for roost it gives them a flat area for their claws. Just remove any splinters from whatever you use.

The shed is actually a small addition to the back of my garage. It is 4ft x 20 feet, but I plan to cut off the beginning of the shed to use for storage an add another door. so let's say 4ft x 12ft. I'm not sure what the dark spots are. I think they are stains.

The eaves are open. also the bottom is also open. I will need to seal that off.

This "shed" used to be an outhouse for a pool that was filled in on my property.

the roof of the coop is actually the extended garage roof so it has a gutter and the rain water is diverted to a pipe underground that empties to a gravel pit.
Cover the eaves with 1/2" hardware cloth fro the outside see My Coop.
Apron for anti-dig barrier around base of walls:
Good examples of apron installation, tho I'd not recommend 1/2" HC...go with 14ga 1x2 or 1x1, will hold up much longer and is easier to lay flat.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1110498/wire-around-coop#post_17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

The 4' can be hard to work with, things get tight once you start putting in roosts and nests and feeders and such. They need room to fly down from roosts. Could put nests in the separation wall you are talking about, then you can gather eggs from outside the 'coop'. You only need a couple nests for 7 birds, so 28" for a couple nests then the rest for a door. Unless you are thinking about more birds down the road, then you should plan now for that. Get out some graph paper and plan ahead.
Roosts should be 12" from walls. Here's some height tips to keep in mind:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coop-stack-up-how-high-should-stuff-be.73427/

Use hardware cloth to seal openings. It looks pretty air tight which isn’t good. My “coops” are open on at least three sides except the greenhouse it’s ventilated with fans and automatic vents on roof.
How hot do you get there?
It can get pretty hot in the summer. Upper 90's is not unheard of. I plan to cut holes on the east and west side and put a fan in the middle to circulate the air.
Can I replace hardware cloth with linoleum or can the critters eat through that? I bought an entire roll for $10 at Goodwill.

It can get pretty hot in the summer. Upper 90's is not unheard of. I plan to cut holes on the east and west side and put a fan in the middle to circulate the air.
Can I replace hardware cloth with linoleum or can the critters eat through that? I bought an entire roll for $10 at Goodwill.
Hardware cloth and linoleum two different critters completely. My chickens even eat/peck at the siding. I’m guessing yours will also peck at the stucco. Linoleum would probably not be good for much in coop.
As aart says 4’ wide will be hard to work in for chickens and cleaning.
Upper 90’s with humidity?
Mines 115 but dry.
Also be careful with what you store in the tool shed part you are planning on the end of coop. If there’s any gas products it could be a problem for chickens.

Hardware cloth and linoleum two different critters completely. My chickens even eat/peck at the siding. I’m guessing yours will also peck at the stucco. Linoleum would probably not be good for much in coop.
As aart says 4’ wide will be hard to work in for chickens and cleaning.
Upper 90’s with humidity?
Mines 115 but dry.
Also be careful with what you store in the tool shed part you are planning on the end of coop. If there’s any gas products it could be a problem for chickens.
Upper 90's with humidity, yes.
Cover the eaves with 1/2" hardware cloth fro the outside see My Coop.
Apron for anti-dig barrier around base of walls:
Good examples of apron installation, tho I'd not recommend 1/2" HC...go with 14ga 1x2 or 1x1, will hold up much longer and is easier to lay flat.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1110498/wire-around-coop#post_17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

The 4' can be hard to work with, things get tight once you start putting in roosts and nests and feeders and such. They need room to fly down from roosts. Could put nests in the separation wall you are talking about, then you can gather eggs from outside the 'coop'. You only need a couple nests for 7 birds, so 28" for a couple nests then the rest for a door. Unless you are thinking about more birds down the road, then you should plan now for that. Get out some graph paper and plan ahead.
Roosts should be 12" from walls. Here's some height tips to keep in mind:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coop-stack-up-how-high-should-stuff-be.73427/
Could I stack the nests? If I did 4 nests 2 on top of each other...

You could and I have. They quite literally fight over the top one. Remember not all birds are going to lay at the same time. They tend to share boxes and they definitely have their favorite spots. Some of my nest boxes never get used.

Air in your coop will stagnate fast without proper ventilation. I’ll try and get a picture of one of mine.

Linoleum on the floor will be far too slippery in my opinion. Might be a good spot for the poop boards that aart suggested.

You guys are sooooo much help. I will get a video of what I am working with this weekend. Then I'll upload it to youtube so I can post it here. I will not be storing anything hazardous in the front part, just food and chicken supplies like a rake. I was thinking linoleum floors with wood chips over it. Then I could just clean it out and hose it down. Maybe the concrete will be fine for that, I was thinking it maybe too hard on their feet.

It might be. I’ve never had concrete. I do have an area of concrete that I might open up for them later this year. I usually do a deep liter type flooring which works real well till it rains like it has for the past week. :sick

If you have high humidity will mold be an issue?

It might be. I’ve never had concrete. I do have an area of concrete that I might open up for them later this year. I usually do a deep liter type flooring which works real well till it rains like it has for the past week. :sick

If you have high humidity will mold be an issue?
I hadn't even considered mold. What can I do about that?

Back
Top Bottom