Rescue chicken. Limp, eye secretion, chest congestion.

boochaces

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 20, 2012
Hi guys. I rescued two chickens from a factory farm two weeks ago. The one is plump and healthy. The other has a limp, eye secretion, gurgle in chest. She has a full appetite and is drinking water. She has been on antibiotic for 8 days. No worse but no better. I have been soaking her bad foot in Epsom salt - alcohol swabbing it. We shot a bit of penicillin in it but it barely will inject. I thought it was bumble foot. But now I don't know.

Any advice before I go the vet route???

Anything I can get at tractor supply???

If you keep these chickens, keep in mind there is a good possibility that you will then have an incurable infectious disease in your flock which they will all probably get. Depending which one it is, they may not die, or may not all die, but you will need to keep a closed flock til they and their offspring have died out. You might want to contact your state vet or county extension agent to have them tested.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

The gurgle in the chest is one symptom of a respiratory diseases. Antibiiotics are usually used to treat respiratory diseases, but the reason why it may wont be helping your bird is that some diseases are viral, and won't respond to antibiotics. Are there any other symptoms, like sneezing, swollen eyes, etc? Limping can be caused by many things, including bumblefoot, injuries, and diseases like Marek's. Does her foot/leg look normal, or is there any swelling or reddness?

Last edited:
Swelling and bruising - and a small black scab on one of her toes. The limp was the very first sign.

Back
Top Bottom