rescue complete pic added post 1 what am I?

luvchicks8

Songster
10 Years
Jul 1, 2009
new Hampshire
Well long story short I live in a rural area and am the only one I know of with poultry and water fowl on my road. So anyway I was making pot holders when the doorbell rang and a nice woman very upset said I she has a demestic (she believes) goose that has found it's way to her beach and doesn't know what to do. She called fish game nothing local rescue nothing so she came to me. Well I can't just do nothing so I got a large crate and feed and am going over to check it out and see if I can capture it. Anyway I don't want to keep this goose so I made a few phone calls and a local farmer I know said he will take it he has a beautiful farm. So here comes the questions? How can I tell if it is domestic or wild (does come up to her and eat food but hisses never attacks) also how can I tell if it is male or female? Thanks for any advise

Here he/she is anyone know what she is? Domestic or wild?

35748_goose_rescue_7-26-10_001.jpg

35748_goose_rescue_7-26-10_002.jpg

Last edited:
Personally, I'd wait a day or two and see if it moves on. It's quite possible that it's wild and just resting there for a while or catching up on eating and energy. We recently had Canada geese in our yard. Of course I knew they were wild, but I walked all around the yard doing my normal stuff, within 5 feet of them and they never budged or fussed at me or anything. The next day they went on their merry way.

Good luck

Well this has been 3 weeks and the neighbors are theatning to shoot her because of all the noise she is making at night. I set a cage up with watermelon, bluebberies and layer pellets to see. Fish and game were there also said they would shoot it or I take it.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about geese, but definitly save it! Even if it is wild and won't stay where you put it that is better than being shot just for being in the wrong place. I am fine with shooting things that threaten you, or if you are gonna eat them, but just because its loud? Poor goose!

Quote:
Thanks I am trying there were so people watching I could not catch it so the lady who ownes the beach is sitting in a lawn chair holding fishing line I attached to the door of my cage that is full of goodies.

Contact the local game and fish or animal control and see if they have any way of identifying it. If it is wild they will know what to do. If you can't get ahold of the G&F The call a local vet to see if they can identify it too.

Ah, you didn't say how long it had been there in the first post. Good for you for trying to go get it. I hope she can catch it soon and calls you to come get it.

SHe's probably a domestic Toulouse. Greylag geese are wild in Europe, not here, but the Toulouse looks almost exactly like them except Toulouse are a lot fatter
big_smile.png

Go and get her! Good luck!! Thank you for saving her
smile.png
Or him
smile.png
Keep us posted!

Since she will swim up by people take a large fishing net and catch her with it. Have a dog crate at the ready to shove her in once you have her and then tote her off to the farm. As Kim65 said she's likely a Toulouse, Greylag are the domestic Toulouse's ancestors.

Back
Top Bottom