Rescued baby mallards. One dead, one very weak. Please help!

I don't think that's a mallard, I think it's a gadwall duckling. Very cute! Do yiu have any more pictures of the babies? I would contact rescue agency. They know what to do and can prepare them for life in the wild.

This was the day we brought them home

Heres the sick little guy sleeping on my friends chest. He passed yesterday :( I grew very attached to him after having it at my hip for almost 2 days.

Last edited:

This was the day we brought them home

Heres the sick little guy sleeping on my friends chest. He passed yesterday :( I grew very attached to him after having it at my hip for almost 2 days.

I'm sorry to hear you lost it, how are the rest doing?
hugs.gif

The rest seem great! They are finally not scared enough to be active while I am in their view and I can even pet them if they are feeling friendly enough. I contacted a lady who rescues wild bird the next town over, let her know the situation and that I was taking good care of them. I asked if she thinks it would be ok to keep caring for them like this, waiting to hear back from her. I hope she says yes, I love these guys! Although I am finding out they are VERY VERY messy! They soak their bedding by playing in the water! We got a deeper waterer with higher sides for them in hopes that they can't make as much of a mess. Ahhhh and I thought chickens were bad when we hatched ours...lol

Try putting the waterer in a tupperware, or on a piece of hardware cloth over a plastic tub. It will catch some of the water they splash & help keep the bedding somewhat drier.

The rest seem great! They are finally not scared enough to be active while I am in their view and I can even pet them if they are feeling friendly enough. I contacted a lady who rescues wild bird the next town over, let her know the situation and that I was taking good care of them. I asked if she thinks it would be ok to keep caring for them like this, waiting to hear back from her. I hope she says yes, I love these guys! Although I am finding out they are VERY VERY messy! They soak their bedding by playing in the water! We got a deeper waterer with higher sides for them in hopes that they can't make as much of a mess. Ahhhh and I thought chickens were bad when we hatched ours...lol

Happy to hear the rest are doing great. you are doing a great job. Bless you! be sure to keep posting pics we love pics!

Yep, those are mallards. Too bad that sick one died. In the wild, only 3 of those ducklings would most likely make it to two months old. It sounds like you're doing well with them. I hear that many people use puppy pee pads to help with the mess.

Back
Top Bottom