Rescued chick from cat (*Update* Coop page 26!)

Quote:
We are also in AL/ Ideal is good and not too expensive. I like buying from a hatchery because I can order only pullets if I want to. Shipping is not too high with them. They will do a 25 dollar...not 25 chick order. Also, have you tried the Al thread on here? It is https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=7450244#p7450244 Somebody might have something close in age.

Great story
smile.png
. I was just going to suggest the AL. thread...you should be able to find someone there close that has chicks.

Congratulations on a successful rescue!! And
welcome-byc.gif
That is such a great story and adorable chick! Good luck with your new baby!! They are such wonderful pets to have too!
love.gif

I found some friends for my girl!!!
wee.gif
It was a lady on Craigslist who has week 1/2 old chicks. I'm going to snatch up one of her Silkies and one of her Easter Egg chicks tomorrow!
celebrate.gif

My girl is about 2 weeks old. She isn't going to pick on the new babies since she's about 4, 5 days older, is she?

Last edited:
wee.gif
That is wonderful news. Can't wait to see pictures of all of them. When are you going to get them. I am so excited for you and your chick. New friends. Yahoo.
celebrate.gif

oh my-- a silkie chick?!?! YAY!!!!!! Oh how sweet!!! You HAVE to post pics of the new chicks!!! I can't wait to see your new silkie!
jumpy.gif
Now you'll need to get started on a little outdoor coop! LOL!! If you don't have an old wooden dog house, you could search for one on CraigsList- hopefully get something cheap or free. Even ask your friends if they have an old one laying around they wouldn't mind getting rid of. You could put it on the ground or even build a little raised deck for it to sit on. Doesn't have to be fancy. I think you are going to LOVE having chickens!!!!
big_smile.png

My parents both used to raise chickens as youngins and we literally live about 50 yards from the old house my dad lived in when he was little. They had tons of chickens and all their little coops are still up there. I'm hoping I can salvage one! If not, I have a bunch of redwood lumber in my back yard. I love to build things so I'm pretty excited either way. I already know where they're going to stay outside
lol.png
I have some hardware wire in the shop, too! I always bugged my parents about being slight hoarders but now I'm glad they kept the stuff
lol.png

I'm going to be getting the chicks this afternoon sometime with my long-term boyfriend. He loves chickens too so maybe he's worth hitching now?
gig.gif
I'll definitely be putting up pictures when I get my new babies! I'm so excited!
celebrate.gif

Quote:
Fun! I'm building my coop myself too! You'd be surprised to see how many women are building coops! I grew up with chickens, too- my dad raised Polish. But I LOVE silkies, too. Anyway, search the coop pages for something really cute to get an idea for yours if you have to start from scratch. Otherwise, happy hunting for all your chick needs in your parents salvage.
smile.png
Glad your boyfriend is on board with the chicken adventure, it will make it easier to convince him to help you build before winter sets in!

I hope your new babies gel as well as mine did. I had a chick that wouldn't grow, so had to buy new chicks 8 weeks younger to keep him company in the infirmary. Here is a picture taken literally minutes after I introduced them. Awww..
Can't wait to see pics of your newbies. Baby silkies are so cute! Do you have names yet?

75545_img_0232.jpg

Back
Top Bottom