Rescued chick from cat (*Update* Coop page 26!)

Quote:
No problem, I'm glad all my endless hours on BYC have been good for something, lol.
wink.png

I lost a hen (eggbound) a few days ago. Before I figured out what was wrong I was convinced they had worms, mites, respiratory disease, etc. So I've done lots of research the last week and still have it fresh in my mind.

hugs.gif
I'm so sorry. I've read that a hen being eggbound is very common
sad.png

I thought everyone was exaggerating about everything that could go wrong with chickens. Mine were perfectly fine all last fall when I first got them to late this spring. Then I got a hen who had sour crop, has became an internal layer but doing great, another with bumblefoot that I can't find the stuff to take out of her foot so is being a pain to treat, scaly leg mites, chicken lice, etc.
he.gif
I think the warm weather brings out all the creepy crawlies and bacteria and stuff. So I've decided now on to worm all new chickens with wazine, and everyone else with safeguard once a year at least, monthly sevin dust during warm months, and apple cider vinegar in their water. The hen that was eggbound laid huge xx large eggs everyday, so it doesn't suprise me she got eggbound. Everyone else lays big but not huge eggs, so hopefully I don't have to deal with that again.

Quote:
hugs.gif
I'm so sorry. I've read that a hen being eggbound is very common
sad.png

I thought everyone was exaggerating about everything that could go wrong with chickens. Mine were perfectly fine all last fall when I first got them to late this spring. Then I got a hen who had sour crop, has became an internal layer but doing great, another with bumblefoot that I can't find the stuff to take out of her foot so is being a pain to treat, scaly leg mites, chicken lice, etc.
he.gif
I think the warm weather brings out all the creepy crawlies and bacteria and stuff. So I've decided now on to worm all new chickens with wazine, and everyone else with safeguard once a year at least, monthly sevin dust during warm months, and apple cider vinegar in their water. The hen that was eggbound laid huge xx large eggs everyday, so it doesn't suprise me she got eggbound. Everyone else lays big but not huge eggs, so hopefully I don't have to deal with that again.

fl.gif
I hope you don't either. What breed was she to lay such gigantic eggs? I too thought this whole time a chicken was going to be like a dog or a cat. They get sick, take them to a vet... but birds, I'd forgotten they don't like to show illness until it's too late and most of the time we have to treat them ourselves and become their personal little vet.

I have some sevin dust. How do you use it and what is it for? And you're so right about the warm weather. I was reading a lot on coccidia last night, which by the way has SEVEN different strains, and those little oocytes live EVERYWHERE. Chickens slowly build up an immunity by contact with other chicken's feces, dirt, all kinds of stuff. Luckily if a chicken starts showing symptoms you can put them on the stuff I'm using, Corid, and it'll really help them out. I still don't know exactly what killed my Elinette or what is still wrong with Floyd, if at all related, but I think that a mixture of lack of heat, parasites, and a strain of coccidia all hit them at once. Yet, I don't know why my Calissa seems to be immune to all this. She's a strong girl and I think those electrolytes I tossed in their water at one point was like chicken crack to her
big_smile.png
. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that my boy is on the road to recovery.

Daily update on Floyd: He's doing great! Fingers crossed, knock on wood, all those things
big_smile.png
wee.gif
I forgot what his little peeps sound like he'd stopped doing them for so long. Now they're like a "honk honk honk"! I admit, I was enjoying not having to put a top on the tub because I knew he couldn't jump out... well... the boy is trying
hide.gif
I can't wait until his comb turns back pink and he begins GROWING again. He's missed a good week of showing any growth.

Less puffed out, more active (preening, eating, drinking), and less time looking "droopy." He'll still sometimes just stand there and look sick, but they're becoming less and less often. He's still super skinny, and I hope he starts gaining the weight back.
ya.gif
Yall want a pic? I think you do
wink.png

107047_wp_000111.jpg
I think I spoke too soon about his comb! His comb is getting pinker again and has GROWN! Yay my boy!

107047_wp_000115.jpg
Check out the coloring Calissa is getting. She's beautiful! She's a feisty little thing though. I think she's become higher in the pecking order since Floyd has been weak and sick. She'll almost act like she's guarding the food bowl!

By the way, how are "normal" crops supposed to feel? His is kind of squishy yet firm. I was so used to him getting his rock hard full of food that I don't know what a real one feels like
lol.png

Wow. I just looked through all his pictures of him growing and it really did just come to a HALT. His comb was turning very pink on the verge of red and growing and it seems when he got sick it shrank and turned pale like Calissa's. People would probably think he's a little hen now. Look at this difference (click pictures to enlarge)

When I noticed it getting pinker and bigger.
The peak of his comb largeness and pinkness before sickness hit.
And then now. It's starting to look a little better now though (imagine that).

I'm so glad he's doing better. What a relief! I hope he continues to do well!
fl.gif

He is such an adorable bird! Love the pics! Calissa is also a very pretty bird, nice feathers!

Yesterday I had my babies out in the sun since Floyd was feeling better. He dustbathed
smile.png
Then I noticed Calissa was taking a very long dust bath... and went over to check her out. Her little legs were twitching and she couldn't stand up
sad.png
I rushed her inside and set her under the heat lamp and she looks to have recovered, but she's not eating much and I'm having to force her to drink. I'm thinking since she was a healthy squirt that I should take her off the corid since it blocks thiamine absorption and a thiamine deficiency can cause leg problems.

I'd like to buy some relaxation if anyone has any. Name your price.

If I lived closer I would give you some respite...you certainly deserve it. Your plan sounds solid to me...maybe an extra helping of those amazing electrolytes would be good for her.
smile.png

Quote:
Just think of all you're learning that you can bring into your nursing career. This is an experience you'll never forget!

Back
Top Bottom