Rescued hen with injured feet...is this bumble feet?

Hen Hilton of Georgia

In the Brooder
May 28, 2023
My daughter rescued a battered up hen chick from a farm that barely can walk last month( we named her Maria from Sound of Music, since she is a good nanny hen of tiny rescued chicks)...she is indoors now in a crate, with medicated water, and I been soaking her feet in Epsom salt ( she was gasping alot, idk if it is our 97 degree heat)....do I need to buy Banixx spray/ cream? She is eating fine...our Tractor supply only has the Banixx cream & a barnyard antibiotic spray of some sort...Edit: we have 3 separate coops on our land & one is my daughter's, so she has no contact with my Hen Hilton if she was carrying anything contagious...we disinfect shoes & wear gloves handling the 3 coops...the last picture is of when my daughter rescued her and brought her hereas a chick...notice her legs
*Update* my daughter just text me and said she was born with her legs like that, but now it seems more swollen**

Attachments

• IMG_20230724_141702275.jpg
    IMG_20230724_141702275.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_20230724_141438394_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230724_141438394_HDR.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20230605_163959554.jpg
    IMG_20230605_163959554.jpg
    561.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Doesn't look like Bumblefoot, which usually manifests on the pads of the feet. Looks like a pretty advanced infection, or could be super small fractures. (the pain tolerance of chickens is insane, they can still try to walk on broken bones. Could you post some pictures of her legs from some different angles or, even better, could you post a video of her trying to walk? It might be easier to see from that!

Doesn't look like Bumblefoot, which usually manifests on the pads of the feet. Looks like a pretty advanced infection, or could be super small fractures. (the pain tolerance of chickens is insane, they can still try to walk on broken bones. Could you post some pictures of her legs from some different angles or, even better, could you post a video of her trying to walk? It might be easier to see from that!
Maria shuffles to walk...atm, she sleeping, and i dont want to disturb her for a video...when she wakes up to eat & drink, I will try to post a video

Ok...my hubby picked this up on the way home from work...will need to apply twice a day and see if her swelling goes down 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏*will update a post here of her progress*

Attachments

• IMG_20230724_180042750_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230724_180042750_HDR.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 26
I agree.

Can you tell us if the swelling on the legs feels soft or firm as bone? I am not an expert on this, but I have seen some pictures of chickens with osteopetrosis or “marble leg disease” which is thought to be a type of avian leukosis virus. Have you had the chicken in quarantine away from your others? If the swelling is soft, then it probably is something different. It would be good to see some more pictures of her standing. Here is another thread where osteopetrosis was suspected:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-rooster-has-swollen-legs.898073/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/swollen-legs-hampshire-red.918075/

Back
Top Bottom