Rescued this little cutie.... Female Sparrow??

danlittleann

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2016
Minnesota
2njzwwm.jpg

Found her (now called Donut in lieu of National Donut Day) on the side of a road today. Almost stepped on her because she didnt fly away like most birds! Im thinking she is a Sparrow? Anyways, she is obviously injured but its nothing you can see except for the fact that she is completely off balance and falls to the left. Nothing looks wrong but Ive given her food/water mash through a syringe since she is obviously weak. What else can I do besides giving her a quiet place to rest? Does she look young enough that she could have fallen from a tree/nest and injured herself??

Yes she is a sparrow, She looks quite young. Not young enough to be in a nest, though. Try giving her sugar water. I once rescued a thrush who had concussion, she was fine after some sugar water and rest. Where do you keep her?

No she doesnt seem to have any other problems like holding her head up, she just kind of seems injured on one side but can hold herself up if she tries or if she leans against something. I will try the sugar water. How old do you think she is?

How is she doing?
Judging by her feathers and her beak, she looks about 4-6 weeks old.
Try to avoid giving her bread or milk, as this is not their natural diet.

The best thing for her is to be in a dark box with wood shavings or something soft to sleep on. You can give her food and water, but I don't advise feeding her with a syringe as I have had bad experiences with this method.

I rescue birds from my sisters cat, so I have a wee bit of experience with sparrows. I have rescued sparrows, starlings, thrushes, blackbirds, wax-eyes, fantails and finches, young and old.

If you have any more questions feel free to private message me
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom