Respiratory illness in chick

Jan 1, 2021
Stony creek NY
I have a chick with labored breathing since yesterday. She seems to be getting hot and then cold. She barely opens her eyes and perks up a tiny bit after some honey and egg yolk and then acts tired again. She is a week old. She is the only one I'll, and while not gasping for air I do hear rattling when she is breathing. I do not know if I can get antibiotics to her. Can someone help me figure out what I can get and how to administer? Am I right thinking this is a respiratory illness? Should I be treating the whole flock of chicks even though they are fine?

I had one do that and she got better with egg yolk and then scrambled eggs daily after she got a bit stronger. She still has periodic respiratory issues though, with none of the rest of the flock showing symptoms. I wonder if chickens can have something similar to chronic bronchitis or asthma (like humans do, not the infectious bronchitis of chickens). Hers seems to be triggered by extended wet days or if the litter gets a bit too dirty (she sleeps on the floor) so I gotta be hyper vigilant about that, but a day (or even night) of isolation with some electrolytes and scrambled eggs always clears it right up.

Update: she is much better. I had to give strong cattle antibiotics under supervision. She was near death. Her growth is stunted and her feather quality is now lacking. However after doing some research, it looks like others are having similar problems with their whiting true blues from the same hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom