Respiratory Infection Meds

Hi, what is the best injectable medicine for a respiratory infection in rooster?
Thanks
Is this the same rooster you posted about last week?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sinus-ear-infection-in-rooster.1282523/

if it is, then you received good information and dosing instructions from Eggcessive in her post HERE

You can find Tylan50 at most feed stores, it can be given orally instead of by injection since Tylan can cause necrosis at the injection site - it has to be given several times a day.

If you want to give up an update on his condition with current photos and more information about his symptoms we can give you more suggestions.
Were you able to get the infection cleared from his ears?

Is this the same rooster you posted about last week?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sinus-ear-infection-in-rooster.1282523/

if it is, then you received good information and dosing instructions from Eggcessive in her post HERE

You can find Tylan50 at most feed stores, it can be given orally instead of by injection since Tylan can cause necrosis at the injection site - it has to be given several times a day.

If you want to give up an update on his condition with current photos and more information about his symptoms we can give you more suggestions.
Were you able to get the infection cleared from his ears?
Yes, same fella. He’s gotten worse and now has foul smell around his face area too. I tried giving him the meds in his water but being separated from his flock depresses him so much so that he refuses food or water!
I washed his beak and face with warm water, cleaned it with bedadine, put some neosporin on it and then gave him some liquid Motrin that I have on hand.
I’m thinking shots would be easiest and quickest way to get results at this point.

This almost sounds like Coryza, possibly Infectious Laryngotracheitis (ILT) or a combo of both diseases. The reason I said "almost" is because other birds should be showing symptoms as well. So far you havnt seen symptoms in other birds, have you?
Eggcessive nailed it: It would be best to treat with a sulfa drug in combination with tylan or baytril.
Roosters are more difficult to deal with when they are separated from their hens, I can relate. In this instance, you're doing the right thing and hopefully your other birds arnt and/or wont become infected.

Last edited:
Yes, same fella. He’s gotten worse and now has foul smell around his face area too. I tried giving him the meds in his water but being separated from his flock depresses him so much so that he refuses food or water!
I washed his beak and face with warm water, cleaned it with bedadine, put some neosporin on it and then gave him some liquid Motrin that I have on hand.
I’m thinking shots would be easiest and quickest way to get results at this point.
Does he have infection in the ears - do you see a discharge?

This almost sounds like Coryza, possibly Infectious Laryngotracheitis (ILT) or a combo of both diseases. The reason I said "almost" is because other birds should be showing symptoms as well. So far you havnt seen symptoms in other birds, have you?
Eggcessive nailed it: It would be best to treat with a sulfa drug in combination with tylan or baytril.
Roosters are more difficult to deal with when they are separated from their hens, I can relate. In this instance, you're doing the right thing and hopefully your other birds arnt and/or wont become infected.

It does sound like he has something additional going on that is causing the foul odor around his face. If he is doing very poorly, you may want to put him down, and get a necropsy by your state vet, to look for a diagnosis. That way if any others get sick, you would know which medicine may help treat it. His body should be refrigerated and sent in on ice packs—here is info on state vets:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

I am not sure if Baytril would be good to treat coryza, but it is a pretty powerful antibiotic. It is good for treating mycoplasma. Here is some info on where to buy it and dosage in posts 1-3:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/baytril-enrofloxacin-sources.959119/

If you would rather try a sulfa antibiotic specific for coryza, then here is where to get it:
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...Z9CUOEB9vKXPbJ9Jz14Jrmu5FUFVPXrBoCZKgQAvD_BwE

Baytril will clear up any ongoing bacterial ear infection that the OP mentioned in the other thread. Tylan may not be as effective against the different types of infective bacteria. If it's viral (ILT,) neither tylan nor baytril will be effective.
Baytril and tylan alone wont treat coryza. Either has to be used in conjunction with a sulfa drug. Some folks just use a sulfa drug to treat coryza and sulfadimethoxine is the drug of choice but requires a script. Sulmet used to be available but it's history. It was more harsh on the chickens system than sulfadimethoxine, but effective.
The link provided by Eggcessive regarding a sulfa antibiotic: A high dose of SMZ-TMP to treat coryza should work with no script required and there would be no need to use tylan nor baytril since it treats a wide range of bacteria and protozoa.
I've used a lower dose of SMZ-TMP in one of my birds with success in treating what I suspected was coccidiosis. Just for your info, the tablets easily dissolve in water but do NOT mix in water, the grains settle to the bottom.

585E74ED-BD1B-438B-A0DF-8E99C617B821.jpeg
Just so that you can read some on each of the different common respiratory diseases such as MG (mycoplasma gallisepticum,) infectious coryza, ILT or Trach, infectious bronchitis, and aspergillosis, here is a good link with symptoms and treatments:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
I’ve got him in a crate on porch facing the coop so that he can see his girls.
Today, I could hear a gurgling sound that sounds like it’s coming from his nose/beak area. I’m thinking of culling him and I feel really guilty for that. He’s had issues with his ears many times over the last 3 years but this time it’s beyond all that. But, I also wonder if I being selfish by not putting him down. I really love this pain in the ass rooster. I raised him myself and know him like a book.
He’s the only rooster that my main flock cares for. I have him on a sulfa drug in his water. It’s called Bird Sulfa
(Sulfamethoxazole Trimethoprim) 480 mg each.
No, my other chickens have no issues and I’ve had no other rooster with these issues. My other roosters never had sinus, ear infections or any type of illnesses. Of course, they are all different breeds too. This particular rooster is a very large buff Orpington. His name is Cornbread. I’m posting a photo of him from yesterday.

The Black is from where he has continuously scratched his face trying to clear his nose. I’m thinking he may have gotten a yeast or fungal infection in his sinus area and it causes pain or itching.
The Black areas are on both sides of his beak and it didn’t help that the hens started to peck the area too.

Back
Top Bottom