Respiratory Infection Not Responding to Tetracycline

Brahmamama82

Hatching
Jun 22, 2020
Hello! I have a 8 week old Dark Brahma rooster who is sneezing, has a runny nose, some rattling in chest and not responding to antibiotics.
We adopted this little guy from a farm as a companion for our 7 ladies around the same age. The first day I noticed him shaking his head and gaping his mouth a bit, the next day I noticed nasal discharge, by day 3 I heard the chest rattle and made an appointment with an avian vet. He prescribed minocyline orally twice a day for 30 days. After one week he was not showing signs of improvement and one of my hens started showing symptoms in spite of being in a separate enclosure (some of the girls snuggle or peck at him through the fence)...had a farm vet do a house call. Everyone was prescribed tetracycline in their water for a minimum of 5-7 days. The hen bounced back quickly, no other birds have gotten sick, but our rooster was still sick. On day 7 I increased the dosage per package instructions and continued to add it to there water for the maximum recommended time (two weeks). Still sneezing and snotty.

The avian vet did a culture on his poop and it came back negative for parasites. No eye issues, eating and drinking well, plenty of energy.

Has anyone else had this issue?
I’m starting to suspect that it’s viral and from what I understand could stick around for 4-5 weeks.

Is it safe to continue giving him antibiotics?

Should I change his bedding from pine shavings to pellets? I reached out to the woman we got him from and she said that’s what she uses.

we never had chickens before so it’s not likely to be a pathogen from a previous flock. Coops are clean and dry...I’m totally stumped. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I would stop the antibiotic if he has been getting enough of the dose. Most respiratory bacterial infections will respond to tetracyclines, so it may be a viral disease, such as infectious bronchitis. The vet can do nasal swabs and send them off to a lab for cultures.

Back
Top Bottom