Respiratory infection?

The Golden Egg5

Chicken OBSESSED
5 Years
Nov 5, 2016
Boone, North Carolina
When I was putting my chickens up for the night, I noticed my rooster had some rattling breathing. He also sneezed a few times. He is a 16 week old speckled Sussex. He had no discharge or watery eyes from what I could tell, and eats great. I have heard Vet Rx was a good product and not too expensive. Any thoughts on this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_3985.JPG
This is him :)

Did your cockerel recover completely? No more discharge, sneezing, congestion, mucous?

The EE, I would keep watch on her at the moment. You can flush the eye with saline to see if that helps.

Bubbles in the eyes and facial swelling could be an indication of respiratory disease.

It's hard to know what's going on with your flock. It seems that your symptoms come and go. Respiratory issues can be caused by a number of things - dry dusty bedding and feed, poor ventilation, molds, ammonia from feces and respiratory disease are a few of the more common causes.

Check to make sure that there is plenty of ventilation in the coop (window/vents open), check to see if there is any moldy areas in the coop/run and that feed is fresh (not moldy - this time of year feed molds quickly).

If her symptoms get worse or she develops mucous coming from the nostrils, sneezing, coughing, etc., then it may be appropriate to treat with antibiotics. Keep in mind that antibiotics will only treat secondary infections and not cure respiratory disease. Depending on your chicken keeping goals (selling/trading/giving away hatching eggs, chicks, etc.) it may be best to have some testing performed to know what you are dealing with.

See that she is drinking well, offer some poultry vitamins in the water for a few days.

Keep us posted.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Back
Top Bottom