Respiratory infection?

Hollywood Hen

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 3, 2011
I have a new hen (rescue, found in someone's backyard!) who seems to have some kind of respiratory problem. There is a nasal discharge, and she sort of rattles when she breathes. She doesn't seem very interested in food or water, and it looks like she had some yellowish diarrhea. Her crop is empty now.

She looks like a RIR, at least a year old. I have her in quarantine in the house right now, with a heating pad on low to keep her warm. Going to a vet is not an option, but I could probably get some basic feed store drugs if that would help.

Has anybody else had this sort of thing? What did you do, and what happened? She seems like a sweet hen, and I'd like to take good care of her.

I have had that happen before and I used VetRx under her wings and down her throat. Helps them breathe better. I also would mix up an egg and put it in a syringe(w/o needle) and feed it to her about 4 times a day. It will perk her up, quick!!
You may be able to purchase VetRx @ Tractor Supply or your local feed store.

I'm reading that gapeworm eggs show up in the feces, but what do they look like? Anybody know? And is there any harm in treating for it, just in case?

I picked up some tetracycline, and she's drinking some water and taking a bit of food but still having a lot of trouble breathing. Chicken sneezes would be really funny to watch if I didn't feel so bad for her.

I haven't noticed tetracycline listed often for treatment of Mycoplasma but it is listed for treatment of Coryza. I read that calcium like in layer feed must be withheld since it binds the tetracycline and makes it ineffective.

She is mouth breathing, but that could just be because her nose is stuffed up. I just want to make sure my bases are covered because I have no idea where this bird has been. The description of coryza sounds closest to how she is acting.

Thanks for the tip about the calcium in the layer feed. I'm going to try some hard boiled egg and bread and see if she'll get more interested in the food.

Definitely keep her quarantined and exercise lots of hygiene before you go near your other birds.
It sounds an awful lot like ILT. I hope not as it is very contagious though it is curable in some cases. She definitely needs an antibiotic and if she dies if I were you I would definitely get a necropsy done for the sake of your other birds. A necropsy is the only definite way to diagnose ILT though it is highly fatal so if she dies you will have a good clue. If she is still alive in a couple of days that is probably not what it is. You can get good advice and meds at a decent price from Peter Brown at www.firststatevetsupply.com. He is sometimes hard to reach so best to start trying now..it will be worth it. If it is ILT there is a vaccine that you can get...I think it is a dead vaccine but can't remember...where they will not be carriers. He sells that also. We used it with his help several years ago and the majority of our flock recovered and were not carriers. ILT is a mandatory cull in some States but not in Ohio. It could also be just CRD which is generally NOT fatal but can be chronic. Or another respiratory ailment. The birds can recover from those with an antibiotic but again Peter is the best one to ask re WHICH antibiotic. IMO anyway.

I'll see how she is in the morning. My instinct is that she's just a run down bird with a weak immune system. I know she has been indoors in a cage with the person who found her for at least a week, so whatever it is has been incubating for at least that long. Hopefully she's comfortable for the night, and I'll see how she is in the morning.

Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom