Respiratory Infections in chicks

Swhite2415

Chirping
Jun 13, 2019
Newfoundland, PA
This little nugget here is Avery. He's had a rough start to life (previous post, was stuck in and attached to his egg). About a week and a half ago he seemed to have broken one, maybe both feet somehow. He's doing better with that and walking pretty well but in the mean time he developed what I was told was a Respiratory Infection. He was lethargic, breathing heavy and making a clicking noise when he breathed. My question is, I was told he will be a life long carrier for Respiratory Infections now, is this true? What does that mean for the flock, does he nees to he separated at all times, never in contact with the other birds? He's just a 6 week old lil baby.

Attachments

• 20190902_193731.jpg
    20190902_193731.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20190905_101820.jpg
    20190905_101820.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 9
  • 20190905_184918.jpg
    20190905_184918.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20190907_114543.jpg
    20190907_114543.jpg
    464.2 KB · Views: 11
Does Avery have any swelling around an eye, any bubbles or drainage in the eye, and gasping or crackles? The clicking may be from breathing. Can you see any puffiness around his chest or neck that might be air underneath the skin? I would make sure that he drinks plenty of water. Offer chick feed mixed with water, and some dry crumbles as well. Vitamins might be helpful. Some respiratory diseases can be due to viruses, where antibiotics would not help. But some can be bacterial and certain antibiotics such as Tylan may be helpful, especially MG.

Such a cutie...hate he's having such a rough start. My understanding of respiratory infections, is that they are usually symptoms of another disease, which the birds could be carriers of for a year or longer.
@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive know much more about this stuff though.

About a week and a half ago he seemed to have broken one, maybe both feet somehow. He's doing better with that and walking pretty well but in the mean time he developed what I was told was a Respiratory Infection. He was lethargic, breathing heavy and making a clicking noise when he breathed. My question is, I was told he will be a life long carrier for Respiratory Infections now, is this true? What does that mean for the flock, does he nees to he separated at all times, never in contact with the other birds? He's just a 6 week old lil baby.
I'm sorry your chick is not doing well :hugs

Can you post a photo of him standing up by himself, preferably one from the front and one from the rear so we can see his legs/feet.

You mention that he seemed to have a broken "one" (toe?) possibly on both feet? If the "same" toe on both feet are bent backward, I would suspect some type of genetic defect, crooked toes or deformity instead of them being broken. Are you able to straighten the toes at all? I would give him 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily.

As for the respiratory illness, does he have discharge from the nostrils, watery eyes, etc.? Clicking can be from a number of things - mold, respiratory disease or even developmental issues in chicks that are not thriving.
It's hard to know the cause without testing. Mycoplasma is common in chickens, as is, Infectious Bronchitis, Infectious Coryza and ILT. Depending on the cause he may be a carrier for life or it may be limited to up to one year - but during that time, if he does have respiratory disease it can be spread to other chickens.

What does his poop look like?

I am SO sorry all!! I usually get email notifications about replies but I didn't get any of these!!

There is no other symptoms of illness aside from the clicking sound and some lethargy. He has been perking up quiet a bit, but he does have rougher days where he's less perky.

It is just one crooked toe that wasn't like that until recently. That whole foot seems a bit lame but he can curl his toes, though when he does it there is no muscle mass. His other foot as no "abnormalities" like the lame one but it doesn't seem as strong as it should be. I will post pictures in just a few!!
He is also not feathering as quickly as his hatch mate. Would that be normal for a possibly ill chick?

I did the best i could with pictures. He stands very odd now to keep his balance. The last picture is of his hatch mate for comparison on standing and feathering

Attachments

• 20190914_095508.jpg
    20190914_095508.jpg
    442.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20190914_095430.jpg
    20190914_095430.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20190914_095426.jpg
    20190914_095426.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 5
  • 20190904_135136.jpg
    20190904_135136.jpg
    622 KB · Views: 6
He does look different than the other chick. The toe is what I would call "crooked" which is a lot of times a genetic deformity or due to improper incubation.
Hard to know about the clicking, but could be a developmental issue since he's behind the others as well.
All you can do if he's a pet is see that he's eating/drinking well, provide extra vitamins and see how it goes.
I would not use this chick for any breeding.

Back
Top Bottom