chickentowns

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2023
Nashville, Tennessee
I recently purchased 5 ISA Browns from a nearby farm intending to integrate them into my existing flock of 18 birds, but after handling them, I’ve noticed a respiratory issue.

One of the five hens has a crackling sound when breathing (rales?) and occasional mucus from her beak but otherwise looks and acts fine. No coughing, sneezing, or labored breathing. The other 4 hens seem perfectly fine.

All new hens are isolated in their own coop/run, completely separate from my flock. The sick hen amongst them is isolated within that coop, so she’s in a separate pen in the coop from the seemingly healthier birds, but still in the same coop.

- How long do I isolate the seemingly healthy birds before integrating them into the flock, or can I ever really trust that they’re healthy given the sick one that they came with?

- What do I do for the sick hen? I’ve got ACV in her water and am researching antibiotics. If she makes it, can I ever put her with my flock, or does it always pose a risk to them?

Please help! I love my birds, and don’t want to risk getting them sick.

Note: while I do love my chickens, getting a vet involved is not an option for us.

My friend has two ducks that has this issue for a while now, and they’ve had it their whole adult life, but they are fine and well, but ducks are different from chickens, so I don’t know if this is a major issue. I would still separate her just in case until you start to see signs of improvement. Is she breathing heavily or fast? Is it cold where you live?
I hope it’s nothing bad!❤️
She is not breathing heavily or fast, totally breathing easy! Just sounds crackley every few breaths. We’re in Tennessee, so it’s not cold at all anymore. We had a pretty mild winter and it’s in the 70s this week!

My friend has two ducks that has this issue for a while now, and they’ve had it their whole adult life, but they are fine and well, but ducks are different from chickens, so I don’t know if this is a major issue. I would still separate her just in case until you start to see signs of improvement. Is she breathing heavily or fast? Is it cold where you live?
I hope it’s nothing bad!❤️

She is not breathing heavily or fast, totally breathing easy! Just sounds crackley every few breaths. We’re in Tennessee, so it’s not cold at all anymore. We had a pretty mild winter and it’s in the 70s this week!
Ok that’s great then! I don’t know what it is, but I did see somewhere that this is just a normal thing in some poultry. So nothing to worry about.👍❤️

Back
Top Bottom