Respiratory outbreak cured with vitamin C

I think 1 level Tbsp should be good for each chick. Since the remedy is mostly natural and without any potentially harmful chemicals (Vit-C overdose is difficult and benign) you may not be perplexed about overdosing with this stuff.

how did you make sure that each chicken got some of the vitamin C ????
also I heard and read that cinammon will not always be the real thing.. and to buy Cianmmon sticks instead.. Ive been buying Organic spices for years...
I already give various brand of chicken vitamins, probiotics and electrollytes......
But of course they prefer rainwater and dew on the grass..... even though I filter our water

My chickens got a severe respiratory disease. 2 have died, now there is only 1 left. Much too late for the other 2, I discovered Vit C. I've been giving this hen C for about a month (she's been sick for 4 months). She got progressively better, but only up to a certain point. But starting about the same time also, she did not digest all her food. I force feed her in the evening and when she wakes up, there is still half left in her crop. Increasingly, the food would last till the next evening, so I only needed to feed her once a day. (She was not eating on her own.) I can't remember if this happened back when she was on antibiotics. Are these related? She now has sour crop. I wonder if I gave her too much C and it burned her stomach or something. I mixed it with baking soda so it wouldn't be so acidic.

One of my chickens had gotten sour crop and we fed her yogurt with a very limited amount of food, and it seemed to do the trick! There is also a medication called Vet RX that can help with many different types of illnesses, and solved our chickens' respiratory problems. I highly recommend it. Good Luck!

There is no VetRX in my country. I gave them all kinds of things - tetracycline, sulfa, amoxicillin - there were useless. Tiamulin worked ok but then they got something even more severe, then that didn't work anymore. Florfenicol staved it off for a while but then also stopped working. Oregano oil, olive leaf were completely ineffective. Nano silver worked great but was too expensive and ran out in a few days. Then I tried Vit C and it was good, but still could not cure it completely. I wonder if the sour crop was due to too much meds (4 months).

Last edited:
True respitory illnesses are not cured, only the secondary conditions are treated. They remain carriers long after the symptoms have resided. I'm glad your chickens are feeling better, but if it was a respitory illness, be prepared for it to pop up again at some time.
Has there been much research done on building the immune system up on poultry and fowl? To say that it will always come back sounds very negative to me. If the chickens and ducks are given the nutritional and nutrients they need to build their immune systems it makes perfect sense that they will be able to fight respiratory illnesses better.

Has there been much research done on building the immune system up on poultry and fowl? To say that it will always come back sounds very negative to me. If the chickens and ducks are given the nutritional and nutrients they need to build their immune systems it makes perfect sense that they will be able to fight respiratory illnesses better.
There are many respiratory diseases in chickens that are incurable and cause the chickens to be carriers for life. From what I understand, the symptoms only pop up in times of stress.

I have a chicken with what seems like a cold, she is not eating or drinking and has her mouth open most of the time, there is some mucusy stuff coming from her mouth and you can hear gurgling in her breathing, sunken eyes, swollen sinuses so I separated her and put her in a box overnight ( much warmer than in the coop ) tried to get some water into her, next day I dissolved a triple strength garlic horseradish and vit c tab in water added some chook vit drops and a probiotic powder to the water and eye dropped it into her mouth got some down. gave a second drink during the day and again inside in the box overnight, gave her more water mix and some mushed up food. she seems to be responding to the garlic ect, not as noisy breathing and did try to eat a little herself but i gave her more and rubbed a bit of Vicks under her armpit and a dab on her nose will see how she is tomorrow, any other suggestions appreciated. all a learning curve

Back
Top Bottom