Respiratory problem in rescued bantam

sasha008

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 22, 2011
Hello! I recently bought 3 sad, neglected bantams from a feed store. I've never had chickens before, only pigeons. The bantams were suffering from severe foot mites and were thin and under nourished. The rooster was in the best shape, the 2 hens were very weak.

I have been treating their feet and they are looking much, much better. They are eating like champs and putting on weight. One of the 2 hens breathes heavier than the other. She will at times breathe open beak while laying down. She is very active, runs around, flys up to the nest box, eats very well. Her poop looks fine, no discharges or bad smells from anywhere. Only other thing is she has had some missing feathers on her head and occasionally scratches the top of her head. Everything seems fine except her breathing. The other hen has been laying every day. This hen has not had any eggs yet. I don't know their ages.

They've been wormed with moxidectin once so far.

If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it!

Oh...they are living in a big cage in my house, it is not hot.

Last edited:
There are a few reasons why the hen is breathing like she is. It could be MG/MS, Stress, or other reasons. Because of what you typed, i would think stress in my opinion.

I've had them about a month now. They were definately stressed when I got them but seem to be thriving now. They are eating pellets, a little seed, fresh veggies, meal worms and have calcium grit. What is MG/MS? Could she be getting ready to start laying?

Back
Top Bottom