Respitory problem: HELP!

jdavis1407

Hatching
Nov 1, 2015
My Serema rooster is breathing through his mouth and souds quite congested on his chest! I am new to this forum and I am a newer chicken owner, I am not sure how to treat this sort of problem! He is eating and drinking well, along with being in a warm and dry area. The poor little guy seems to have quite some trouble breathing though! Please give me your advice !

I would suggest isolating him first of all and giving him electrolytes in his drinking water as that should boost his immune system and help fight off the problem. Without knowing precisely what kind of respiratory issue he has its a little problematic to give further concrete suggestions. The cause may be bacterial, viral or fungal. I'd suggest seeing how he does in the next couple of days before doing anything more, but i would suggest that you buy a broad spectrum antibiotic just in case there is no change. Whilst they will not cure a virus or fungal issue, they will help to fight off secondary infections.

Before there are other posts on the issue of antibiotics, i should make it known that many BYC members feel very strongly about administering antibiotics before knowing the exact problem. Personally, i am not in that particular camp, but i feel thats its important for me to reflect not just my opinion, but that of others also.

CT

I would suggest isolating him first of all and giving him electrolytes in his drinking water as that should boost his immune system and help fight off the problem. Without knowing precisely what kind of respiratory issue he has its a little problematic to give further concrete suggestions. The cause may be bacterial, viral or fungal. I'd suggest seeing how he does in the next couple of days before doing anything more, but i would suggest that you buy a broad spectrum antibiotic just in case there is no change. Whilst they will not cure a virus or fungal issue, they will help to fight off secondary infections. 

Before there are other posts on the issue of antibiotics, i should make it known that many BYC members feel very strongly about administering antibiotics before knowing the exact problem. Personally, i am not in that particular camp, but i feel thats its important for me to reflect not just my opinion, but that of others also.

CT

Thank you ! I will get electrolytes today! He is isolated and i believe he has some discharge coming from his nose, almost like he has a cold. I have spent time researching and beig on this forum and ive read a alot about tylan 50 and tylan 200, would you recommend something like that? Or would t be better to do something else ? Thank you for your help! I really don't want anything to happen to the little guy!

You are most welcome. Regarding which antibiotic to use, I'm sorry i can't really help on that one. I live in Kenya and we do not have those products - as long as its broad spectrum it will be fine i would think.

Good luck
CT

@jdavis1407 , welcome to BYC, I'm one of those that like antibiotics, especially if they sound congested. Of course having a vet look at him would be the best thing to do, but if that's not possible you could try Tylan or Baytril. If it's mycoplasma, Tylan will probably work, but if it's E. coli or the one that begins with a p, you'll need something like Baytril or Cipro. Of course neither will work if it's viral.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom