Rest In Peace Penny

May 19, 2018
Lynden,Wa
Sad morning. Our 11 month old pullet Penny Golden Comet) passed away. She was eating drinking, being herself yesterday. Comb and wattles normal color. This morning she didn't come out of the coop. She was on the roost eyes closed. I got out the crate placed a blanket in it and put her in after checking for any wounds. No wounds. Crop was empty. Not egg bound, last lay yesterday morning. Called vet and said I was on my way with a sick chicken.
Got there and they took her in right away. Did fecal no overloads. Respiratory was clear, no raspy sounds. Said definitely a bad heart beat, skipping beats. As vet said that Penny gasped and passed away. Vet said she believes it was her heart. I asked to Send her for necropsy to check for Mareks. She is going to do that and call me with the results.
Rest in Peace Penny. You were such a sweet girl. Always wanted to be pet and held. I know you had a good life with us. I will miss you.

Sad morning. Our 11 month old pullet Penny Golden Comet) passed away. She was eating drinking, being herself yesterday. Comb and wattles normal color. This morning she didn't come out of the coop. She was on the roost eyes closed. I got out the crate placed a blanket in it and put her in after checking for any wounds. No wounds. Crop was empty. Not egg bound, last lay yesterday morning. Called vet and said I was on my way with a sick chicken.
Got there and they took her in right away. Did fecal no overloads. Respiratory was clear, no raspy sounds. Said definitely a bad heart beat, skipping beats. As vet said that Penny gasped and passed away. Vet said she believes it was her heart. I asked to Send her for necropsy to check for Mareks. She is going to do that and call me with the results.
Rest in Peace Penny. You were such a sweet girl. Always wanted to be pet and held. I know you had a good life with us. I will miss you.
So sorry for your loss. :hugs rest in peace penny.

I am sorry for your loss. You were very thorough in ruling out many of the common causes of illness, and taking her to the vet was a good thing. I have heard of others losing perfectly healthy hens at either point of lay, or at the year old age. Sometimes there can be inflammation and infection of the heart. Please post your final necropsy results here in you can, since we all learn from other’s vet visits and necropsies. Hopefully, it isn’t Mareks.

Really sorry you lost Penny, especially so suddenly like that. Is there any particular reason why you suspect Marek's to specifically ask for testing? It can cause sudden death like that but just curious if you have seen other suspicious symptoms in Penny or other members of your flock which would point in that direction? As someone with Marek's I know how obscure and variable symptoms can be. I too would be really interested to hear the result of the necropsy if you are able to to post it on this thread.

Really sorry you lost Penny, especially so suddenly like that. Is there any particular reason why you suspect Marek's to specifically ask for testing? It can cause sudden death like that but just curious if you have seen other suspicious symptoms in Penny or other members of your flock which would point in that direction? As someone with Marek's I know how obscure and variable symptoms can be. I too would be really interested to hear the result of the necropsy if you are able to to post it on this thread.
I had looked up symptoms when I first got them at 4 weeks, so I would know what to watch for. There were no symptoms, no symptoms in any of the others. More or less peace of mind. Report is going to be sent to vet and she will let me know the results. She doesn't suspect Mareks, she thinks it was the heart, cause of the skipping beats.

Thank You all :hugs. It's never easy. I know she had a good life even if it was too short. Proper food, few treats couple times a week, sides of OS and grit, coop and run cleaned daily.
Yes she was my favorite. Always came to greet me. Would squat in front of me, gave her pets and held her. If I didn't pet her she would pull on my jacket to get my attention, then squat.
As the song goes, Only the good die young.

Back
Top Bottom