Restart after Moulting - soft-shells normal???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 2DogsFarm, Dec 29, 2010.

1. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Since The Great Mass Moult at the end of October I have had just one hen of 5 laying [​IMG]

She is the only one who did not moult and has faithfully laid an egg for me at least every other day.

Lately I've noticed some of the others sitting in the nestboxes, and one day I actually got a 2nd egg [​IMG]

Then nada....until the other day I found a soft-shelled egg in a nestbox, and last night someone made an OOPS! egg while roosting, also soft-shelled.

They always have freechoice oyster shell & I feed daily oatmeal with plain yogurt and an evening treat of dark leafy greens and/or sardines a couple times a week.

Is it normal for hens to lay these "practice" eggs when they restart laying after a moult?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I did have one girl lay 1 soft shelled egg when she started back up last year. I wouldn't worry about it.

3. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    [​IMG] Well, it seems posting here was the Charm.

Last night 3 eggs in the nestbox!!!

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Yes, you'll get soft shells, fart eggs, and misshaped ones plus a few double yolkers. Comes with getting the apparatus back in working order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by