Resting chicken slow to move

Sep 18, 2019
SW Washington
So I have noticed a hen who is 4 years old who is slow to move. It is 9am and she is still on her roost. She does eventually come down, but last night she was in a nesting box until bed time. I pulled her out checked her legs and they were fine. She was breathing a little heavy but had been 90 degrees that day. She immediately went outside and drank water, almost like she was dehydrating herself. Is this a sign of something medical and if so I should move this over to the medical forum. Or is this just an older chicken thing. She has been laying regularly and lately here in the PNW we have had a mix of 3 rainy days and then 2 nice warm days and finally today is just cool (topping out at 70).

Maybe she was getting affected by the heat if you guys were getting 90s? If she was in a nesting box all day do you think she may be egg bound?

Maybe she was getting affected by the heat if you guys were getting 90s? If she was in a nesting box all day do you think she may be egg bound?
She did leave some droppings when I checked her out. She had laid the day before and did roost(up 5 feet) last night. She is moving a little and I moved her to her own space. She did get beat up pretty bad by the roosters on her back. She definitely has inflamed skin.

How many males and how many females?
Might be time to separate or get rid of some of the males.
We had 2 adult roosters and we actually rehomed 1 of them and we have a few pullet roosters that haven't started the mating yet. We will be swapping them out too. We do have 18 hens and the adult roosters is a Barnvelder and is smaller.

Back
Top Bottom