Restless babies

kdwag

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 14, 2012
Northwest Ohio
the girls are 4 days old. today they are very loud despite the fact that they seem warm, are eating and playing. do they get bored? they are trying their hardest to "escape".

Usually they only cheep loudly in my experience if they are cold, or in some kind of distress. If I were to take away some of their hatch mates, they will chirp loudly until you return them. Or if they are broody raised and lost sight of their mother.

Definitely never experienced loud chirping if they are bored. I have never seen a bored chicken :p

How many do you have and how big is their brooder? They can make quiet a bit of noise at times for litte ones. If they have food, fresh water and are not huddled together(cold) when they are peeping all may be normal. Mine seemed to make the most noise just before bedtime but sometimes would get louder for no apparent reason. Even at six months old when they hear me open the door or see me the get loud.

4, and the brooder is 2 ft by 3 ft. (converted dog crate). They started right after i changed their bedding, food and water and we had a cricket incident (cricket in the crate) that caused some comotion prior. but, they weren't acting cold and were flying and playing. I did for sure notice that when i left the garage, they got really loud, but got quiet when i returned--- They certainly have grown in just 4 days.

4, and the brooder is 2 ft by 3 ft. (converted dog crate). They started right after i changed their bedding, food and water and we had a cricket incident (cricket in the crate) that caused some comotion prior. but, they weren't acting cold and were flying and playing. I did for sure notice that when i left the garage, they got really loud, but got quiet when i returned--- They certainly have grown in just 4 days.
They are frightened of the changes. It should quiet down once they get used to the bedding and surroundings. They may have become attached to you as well. Cricket in the crate sounds very interesting lol. Mine got a hold of a lizard and mangled it before they were a week old. My cat gave them a dead mole at 4 weeks and they played keep away for 15 minutes before ripping it apart. They are vultures! If you want to keep them entertained, give them a roost, and some things to climb on.
7666b8c2.jpg
Here is my brooder and what they have to do for fun.
_MG_8251.jpg
They definitely take full advantage of what activities I provide :)

Back
Top Bottom