Returning a rooster that has been exposed to cocci but was raised on medicated food.

Crabbylady

Chirping
Jul 8, 2020
Need immediate advice please. Tomorrow I am returning a rooster that is picking on my young pullets to the original owner. This rooster was on medicated feed since a chick, the new pullets from a different source were not and were also not vaccinated. I started them on Corid Wednesday after seeing several bloody poops. I segregated the rooster and have NOT given him Corid as he was on the medicated feed until this week. Is he now a carrier for coccidiosis and will bring it back to his original flock if the owner takes him back tomorrow? Or is he immune?

Yes, it's entirely possible he may bring it back to his original home, medicated feed is pretty low dosage and is a preventative but not a sure fire way to kill it off. His owner should be cautious about reintroducing any bird that's let and returned, but it would be decent of you to warn the person taking him back that your flock has been showing symptoms.

I did tell the original owner. Problem is I have him
In a large dog crate during the day because he won’t stop attacking my pullets. And then at night I lock them up in the coop and leave him in the enclosed run. I hate to keep him in the crate another week to treat him as it’s not ideal for him. There’s no good answer here and I’m not buying a Second coop to treat him for a week. :( ugh.

In a large dog crate during the day because he won’t stop attacking my pullets. And then at night I lock them up in the coop and leave him in the enclosed run. I hate to keep him in the crate another week to treat him as it’s not ideal for him. There’s no good answer here and I’m not buying a Second coop to treat him for a week. :( ugh.
Just return him. Tell the owner that he was very nice and got beat up by the other roosters. That will get the original owner to want him back maybe.

Coccidia is everywhere in the soil. All chickens who have been on dirt have been exposed and may have some in their guts. By 11-20 weeks most chickens have built up tolerance to coccidia in the soil. Most breeders know that and what ro look for. If the owner will take him back, they slhould keep him in quarantine for a few weeks anyway. You can mention that you were treating yours for possible coccidiosis with Corid. Whether a chicken is treated with Corid or medicated feed doesn’t matter, they can still get coccidiosis if conditions are right. Here are some articles to read:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken/

https://www.acreagelife.com/hobby-f...chickens-transmission-diagnosis-and-treatment

:goodpost:

(Edit: had this post half typed up before bed and finished this morning before looking at what else might have been said. Exactly what Eggcessive said!

Extra points for honesty!! If I were the person being reasonable enough to accept a rooster back after rehoming him because he was a bad fit, I would be furious if he was possibly given back with something contagious that the person knew full well he might carry ... so as far as I'm concerned you did great on that front. Cocci is everywhere, it shouldn't be a big deal to the last owner, just as long as you gave her a heads up it's super easy to treat and as long as they know, theres no guessing game as to what those first symptoms might be while they quarantine if he starts to show them. Quarantine would be the smart thing for them to do regardless of whether you told them or not. You shouldn't have to build a new coop for a ill fitting rooster that has no manners, absolutely not! Cull before you go that far!

Back
Top Bottom