Rhode Island Red eggs and Barred Rock eggs a different shade of brown?

undergroundchickens

Songster
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
Utah
Are RIR and BR eggs a different shade of brown that is pretty easy to tell apart (like BR lay lighter colored eggs)? I want to be able to tell the difference between the two breeds colors so I can tell who is laying what.

Thanks!

As of today I can answer this question. I have both a RIR and BR of which the BR has been laying for about a week and half. The RIR just laid her first egg today. It was noticeably darker than the BR's egg. Our BR's eggs have been a very light brown almost a tinted white so to speak. The RIR's was just like the brown eggs you can buy in the store. Hope this helps!

Thank you, it helps greatly! All I could find was that both lay brown eggs. No specification on light or dark. Glad to know there will be a difference. Thanks again.
smile.png

I have BR, BO, and RIR, and i have never been able to tell them apart by shade.

If you don't have too many chickens, you might be able to tell them apart, but it's kind of an individual thing.

Also, shades tend to get lighter toward the end of the laying cycle. They just aren't that consistent.

I'm sorry.
hugs.gif

Quote:
I agree--the times I've had a flocks of either Red or Black sex-links laying the color variation would go from all light tan to dark brown--so if that was the case within a group like that I suspect it was a good indication of what takes place in their genetic population. In other words egg color may not be a reliable indication of who is laying what egg.

My RIR does lay considerably darker eggs than any of my other breeds, including my 3 BR. Also like Punkinpeep said they do lighten over time. However my BRs seem to lay a lighter egg, more like a tan. If you only have the 2 breeds, it shouldn't be to difficult to tell which egg belongs to who. I agree though it isn't a scientific result
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom