Rhode Island Red help

Hi all! First time with this breed so I have nothing to compare to. Of course…purchased as a female but we all know how accurate that is. Lol S/he is about 10 weeks old. Slightly larger than the other chicks of the same age but again, it’s the only RIR so I dunno. No crowing, no typical little roo behavior that I’ve noticed but those dark, longer tail feathers are making me nervous.
Cockrel it’s saddle feathers are starting to come in those shiny thin feathers towards the rear. Also the hackle feathers are thin as well. I have a ten week also and her comb is a pale pink and no waddle.

Hi all! First time with this breed so I have nothing to compare to. Of course…purchased as a female but we all know how accurate that is. Lol S/he is about 10 weeks old. Slightly larger than the other chicks of the same age but again, it’s the only RIR so I dunno. No crowing, no typical little roo behavior that I’ve noticed but those dark, longer tail feathers are making me nervous.
Any new pictures since it's been a few weeks since your original post? Please, I'm really curious how this one is going to turn out. Thanks!!

That's a rooster for sure!
I've had mainly RIRs in my flock, all of which were hens. None of them looked like yours. RIR hens have duller feathers and a much lower posture. The tail feathers are round and short, and the neck/saddle feathers aren't sharp or colorful.
Yours is definitely a rooster. The comb and wattle are already longer than an RIR hen's comb and wattle. It has saddle and sharp, colorful neck feathers, a sure sign of a rooster.
Hope this helps!

Why's everyone second guessing this
It's obviously a roo
You could see his saddle and shoulder feathers coming in 👇

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230606-161008.png
    Screenshot_20230606-161008.png
    1 MB · Views: 9
He’s definitely a cockerel with all that male-specific feathering. Do you have any updated pictures of him?

Back
Top Bottom