Rhode Island Red is 31 weeks old and still not laying. Help?

helenbhshort

In the Brooder
Nov 10, 2021
Dallas, TX
Hi! My hen is 31 weeks old and still hasn’t laid. She roams the backyard all day. Has plenty to eat and drink. I have one other hen (some french breed) who is younger.

do I need to just be patient?

I would say that while that's unusual for a Rhode Island Red, she will likely lay eventually. Watch for her comb/wattles getting bigger and redder, and for her to start squatting. Usually if they start squatting when you put your hand over their back they're going to start laying in the next week or two. I just had my Bielefelder start laying last week at 30 weeks old, but she's from a notably slow developing breed. I also have a Dorking (also slow grower) and a Cream Legbar (statistically probably should've started by now) who I'm waiting on. You're farther south than so I don't know how much light you're getting (more than me that's for sure!), but chickens usually need about 15 hours to lay. You might be waiting until spring, which I expect I will be too for my two late maturers.

tldr you just need to be patient like you said. :)

Hi! My hen is 31 weeks old and still hasn’t laid. She roams the backyard all day. Has plenty to eat and drink. I have one other hen (some french breed) who is younger.

do I need to just be patient?
Does she look like she laying....vibrant red comb and wattles?
Check her pelvic point spacing F-F:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Then you might have to confine her to train her to lay in the nests.
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Does she look like she laying....vibrant red comb and wattles?
Check her pelvic point spacing F-F:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Then you might have to confine her to train her to lay in the nests.
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.
thank you so much, this was very helpful.
I was trimming back some bushes and found an egg behind them! not sure if its the first, but its the only one weve found. were going to lock her in the coop for a couple of days...question. i have two chickens, the other one (rare french breed) is a bit younger. should i keep her locked up as well?

My Rhode Island Reds are about 7 months and no eggs. Now it's December and I'm thinking I'll have to wait til Spring. I'm in Florida.
I know this was from almost year ago but I’m dealing with the same issue. 7 mth old Rhode Island Reds, no eggs and I also live in Florida.

When did they finally lay eggs?

Back
Top Bottom