Rhode Island Red pecked in eye!

edith2347

Hatching
Mar 27, 2015
Yesterday, I let my year 10 month old rhode island red out of the coop to free range. After an hour I checked up on her and noticed that the rooster had jumped the coop (he hasnt been introduced to her or my other new barred rocks), so im assuming he tried to mate and she didnt want to and he pecked her in the eye accidentally. Her eye is completely closed shut and when i try to open it, it has a white/grayish glaze over it. Could it be infected? What can i do to help her? She eats when given food but hardly has the motivation to roam around. I have been lightly patting her eye with salt water and given her small doses of children's advil but is there anything else i can do for her eye?

Hello and welcome to BYC!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures
You should post here for better replies. Good luck with your hen :)

One of my pullets got pecked in the eye a few months ago.

First, you'll want to isolate your hen for a few days. Go to the feed store or pharmacy and get a larger needle-less syringe (30 or 60ccs) and some triple antibiotic ointment WITHOUT any analgesics in it. If you can, also get some Vetricyn.

Prepare a saline solution to flush eye and debris. That gray/white stuff is pus. For saline, I just sprinkled a little bit of the kind of salt you use for neti pots and nasal rinse. You can also buy saline for eyes. To make it more comfortable, I also made sure water was lukewarm. Wrap hen in a towel burrito and flush the saline solution using the syringe. If the pus is particularly stubborn, keep flushing. You may need a few cotton swabs to help get the gunk out. After flushing, pat the area to dry it a little, spray Vetricyn and apply the antibiotic ointment around eye. I repeated this 2-3x a day until my pullet could open her eye a bit. After the 2nd day, I let her free range with her buddies, as they normally do everyday, but I brought her in at night to repeat the treatment (she got lots of mealworms and nuts as a reward), and make her sleep indoors in a dog pen in my living room. There's just too much dust and other things that would stick to her eye in the coop. After about 4-5 days, did the flush and treatment once a day, and let her sleep in the coop again. After she stopped developing any pus or sticky stuff, I stopped flushing with saline and applying ointment, but continued too spray Vetricyn for a couple more days for good measure.

Good luck! I hope yor hen will recover well.

Back
Top Bottom