Rhode Island White Thread

Pics
Thanks to Google I found you all. After a few years of searching, we finally decided on a breed to raise and it is the rose comb rhode island white. Part of the decision came from an article in the magazine they publish for free for Tractor Supply. Too late for this year to get some thanks to all the AI scares and restrictions going on. Add to that, since we hadn't decided on an official breed to raise, we bought some colored layers. Picked up that publication a little too late. So in 2017 or 2018 we are going to add some of these gorgeous birds to our place. Any leads any of you can give for shipped eggs or chicks, would be helpful. We are planners, so the longer wait is no problem. It just means that we will put more research into the breed. Can't wait to raise this wonderful breed and help preserve it for future generations. 
There is a Facebook page. On this breed also. Rose Comb Rhode Island White
I just got 50 of these yesterday. There are a couple people on this page that ship eggs and there are 4 or 5 of us just getting started. I hope by the time you are looking for some you have several sources to choose from. Welcome to RCRIW !!!

Well I can officially say I have RCRIW chickens as of now I have 51 chicks ! Hopefully this time next year I will of helped someone else get started with them. I never hear anything bad about this breed but they are pretty hard to come by. My goal is to raise a couple hundred of them next year. I need to get a copy of the STANDARD OF PERFECTION and try hard to keep these chicks heading in that direction.

Congratulations on getting your chicks.
yippiechickie.gif

Thanks to Google I found you all. After a few years of searching, we finally decided on a breed to raise and it is the rose comb rhode island white. Part of the decision came from an article in the magazine they publish for free for Tractor Supply. Too late for this year to get some thanks to all the AI scares and restrictions going on. Add to that, since we hadn't decided on an official breed to raise, we bought some colored layers. Picked up that publication a little too late. So in 2017 or 2018 we are going to add some of these gorgeous birds to our place. Any leads any of you can give for shipped eggs or chicks, would be helpful. We are planners, so the longer wait is no problem. It just means that we will put more research into the breed. Can't wait to raise this wonderful breed and help preserve it for future generations.
We do have a Facebook page for RCRIW's. It is https://www.facebook.com/groups/RCRIW/ There are several good breeders of the breed. It is just hard to get them unless you are close or willing to get shipped eggs. My line are great dual purpose birds. Good egg layers and very good meat birds. I still have a couple of years to go before they are going to be where I really want them to be but they are getting there.

I do too.  She is one fine hen that came from Frank.  Wish he would ship chicks and eggs but he just will not do it.

Is shipping just a few chicks a year for a hobby farm hard to do? I see on several Facebook auctions shipping chicks everyday.
Just curious. Also should I be able to feather sex these RC RIW I can definitely see a differance on several of these chicks.

Is shipping just a few chicks a year for a hobby farm hard to do? I see on several Facebook auctions shipping chicks everyday.
Just curious. Also should I be able to feather sex these RC RIW I can definitely see a differance on several of these chicks.

Shipping chicks can be done. The problem is that you really need to have 25 chicks in order to safely ship. I know there are things like heat pad or something for less but not sure what those are. I have not shipped chicks so not the best to ask.

As for sexing chicks...I would think you can do feather sexing. It take a while to really understand how to do it. My observation at the local hatchery was that all males have equal quill/same length and that the females have long and short quills/uneven length. It was explained to me that it is like a fan. In males. open the fan and every thing is equal in length but in females it is like you open the fan and then lay another on top but make sure that the points go between each blade of the fan. This gives you the two layers which indicates a female. It takes a while to really learn how to do it.

There are a couple of video clips on the subject. This is one and probably not the best but it will get you a start.
http://chickensoncamera.com/2010/10/how-to-sex-baby-chicks/

I am sure there are some better ones on the net in YouTube that you can watch. I found it really fascinating and really need to go back a couple of times to the hatchery to really learn how to do it.

Shipping chicks can be done. The problem is that you really need to have 25 chicks in order to safely ship. I know there are things like heat pad or something for less but not sure what those are. I have not shipped chicks so not the best to ask.

As for sexing chicks...I would think you can do feather sexing. It take a while to really understand how to do it. My observation at the local hatchery was that all males have equal quill/same length and that the females have long and short quills/uneven length. It was explained to me that it is like a fan. In males. open the fan and every thing is equal in length but in females it is like you open the fan and then lay another on top but make sure that the points go between each blade of the fan. This gives you the two layers which indicates a female. It takes a while to really learn how to do it.

There are a couple of video clips on the subject. This is one and probably not the best but it will get you a start.
http://chickensoncamera.com/2010/10/how-to-sex-baby-chicks/

I am sure there are some better ones on the net in YouTube that you can watch. I found it really fascinating and really need to go back a couple of times to the hatchery to really learn how to do it.
Vent sexing is the only way to sex them. Feather sexing does not work reliably with them and never ever sell them as sexed chicks if feather sexing.

The different length of feathers before three days is actually a sexlink characteristic that some hatcheries use. It works by crossing fast a feathering line or breed that is sexlinked to a slow feathering breed or line. If you are breeding from your own flock, you will not have this ability. There are some breeds that will keep the ability to sexlink feather growth.

13371_sexfaether.jpg

Thanks for the links and the information. I did see that some of my chicks have faster growing feathers and just went to assuming. It makes no differance I'll probably have all these chicks I'm forced to thin them down anyway. I forgot how fast these little chicks change.
My wife skipped a couple days of seeing them and she was fascinated to see them tonight.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom