Rhode Island Whites

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Raindog7817, Oct 21, 2010.

1. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:RIW should have yellow legs

2. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Songster

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:RIW should have yellow legs

Thanks punky, that's what I thought but then wondered how the heck you tell the difference between those and White Rocks? Body type? Thought they were pretty similar shaped... of course I've never seen a RIW, just have a white rock.

3. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    combs and body type

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  4. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Songster

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:Ok so for education sake, both have single combs right? Are RIWs more slender than Rocks? Mine is pretty fluffy compared to my RIR (although I have a hatchery one so it may not be accurate).

ETA Chris was responding while I was! I forgot heritage RIR can have rose combs so would make sense the white ones would too.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  5. Raindog7817

Raindog7817 Hatching

Oct 21, 2010
    They have a single comb and so far have laid small white eggs.

6. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    [​IMG] that sounds like a white leghorn

7. Raindog7817

Raindog7817 Hatching

Oct 21, 2010
    I think your right. I looked at some pics and they look the same.
    Any pros or cons that you know of.

8. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    for white leghorn?
    I know they have frost bite prone combs but other than that they are GREAT layers!
    ETA: do they have white earlobes?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  9. Folks this thread required extensive cleaning. Sadly since some members could not follow the rules and persisted in trolling and flaming each other many posts regarding the history of the breed are lost. If you can't present your information without the 'I'm right and your wrong' or name calling please don't post at all.

Lets help this new member figure out what breed he has, and if RIW then all about them.

10. Chickielady

Chickielady Spiritwood Farms

Mar 10, 2010
    Raymond, WA
    My Coop
    Are they gone so we can talk RIW now ?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hope all the RIW owners & breeders will return to discussion.
    We are doing the best we can to get together, and get this going again.
    We will do as Ralph Stuergeon suggested: "Do the best you can starting with what you have"
    And so we shall.
    My last post here consisting of the SOP Page 50 was meant to show you all how the public can be misled by the very "Chicken Bible" we go by...and Ideal Poultry is a perfect example in how they sell s/c RIW AND newbies looking at the SOP ---SEE---right after the name RIW: there is 2 comb listings.
    I raise r/c RIW...but others, countless others are falling for the 2 comb thing, and the SOP has hurt tremendously.
    Perhaps the chicken gods can bring this to the attention of authors of the SOP.
    Thanks all~~

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: