Rhode Island Whites

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Raindog7817, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Quote:My co-worker was diagnosed with RA as well....

Yes, they are very slow to mature. In my limited experience with heritage breeds, some of mine took 9 months to the point of lay. [​IMG]

White chanteclers are very rare as well....but they have a cushion comb--even smaller than a rose comb. They also mature quicker than the RIWs.

2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:Just because its not recognized does not mean they don't exist [​IMG]
    punky

Sure they exist....but they shouldn't be used for breeding if they have a single comb. Just like Wyandottes with single combs do exist. Some people even keep one or two in their flock. But if you're breeding for type and perservation you're wasting your time reproducing cull birds, IMO. [​IMG]

More than likely the OP has Leghorns...RIWs are extremely rare.

Yes I agree with you there

3. Chickielady

Chickielady Spiritwood Farms

Mar 10, 2010
    Raymond, WA
    My Coop
    The rose comb in itself is dominate, unfortunately, a single comb pops up.
    Same thing happens with breeding r/c RIR...so that said, my point last time this wonderful issue came up stands:
    Ideal Poultry is one of a few hatcheries selling the RIW with a single comb.
    No on knows what type these birds are...nonetheless, several people that have bought them, and are breeding them, and are very proud of them, have "shown" me the SOP page 50 that I already showed to you all.
    It says there directly under the name Rhode Island White, the description of the bird male and female.
    Several pages away, it describes color after a title of "rhode Isalnd White Rose comb"

So see how many people these days are argueing that their birds are indeed RIWs ?
    Number one, Ideal is selling them, among others, some hatcheries actually refer to the RIW as nothing more than a white version of the RIR and these 2 breeds share no bloodlines.
    It is the hatcheries and the SOP, that is making life difficult here, and will continue to do so..
    As so many people think they are doing good by bringing a breed back that is next to extinction...mislead by hatcheries and the very SOP.
    That is what the arguement is all about.
    [​IMG]
    These birds are 5 months old on the 27th of this month.
    It is going to be impossible for us to continueally tell these people that their birds purchased and beloved, with single combs from hatcheries like Ideal as NOT RIW...everyday a new person will wander into this thread and insist they have RIW and the SOP on page 50 says so...It will be an endless war.
    Now that the RIW is not in the SOP (like the Orloff) breeders like Ideal will push it to the limit to make as much money off the public as they can...so what can we do about it ?

4. fowlman01

fowlman01 Crowing

Sep 2, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    Quote:I am not sure what you are trying to say here, but the RI White comes in Rose comb ..as it states on page 50 of the SOP. I would like to know how the SOP has "hurt tremendously".
    I just looked and now I see what you are seeing. You are looking at the comb descriptions for both varieties of RI's. RIR and RIW.

Walt

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  5. fowlman01

fowlman01 Crowing

Sep 2, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    Quote:The RIW is still in the SOP and in fact in the 2010 edition.It comes in Rose Comb. Page 50 describes the RIR AND RIW. The "Orloff" that was in the SOP only lasted for one edition and had a different body and comb than the ones people have now. I don't know why it was taken out, but it didn't look like anything out there now.

Walt

6. fowlman01

fowlman01 Crowing

Sep 2, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    Quote:I am not sure what you are trying to say here, but the RI White comes in Rose comb...as it states on page 50 of the SOP. I would like to know how the SOP has "hurt tremendously".

Walt

7. Chickielady

Mar 10, 2010
    Raymond, WA
    My Coop
    Quote:The RIW is still in the SOP and in fact in the 2010 edition.It comes in Rose Comb and Single Comb. The "Orloff" that was in the SOP only lasted for one edition and had a different body and comb than the ones people have now. I don't know why it was taken out, but it didn't look like anything out there now.

Walt

Thankyou very much for agreeing with me in exactly what it states in the SOP, I have been attacked by many, most, or I will say ALL of which do not even have RIW, and it has caused quite an arguement. Thanks, Walt !

8. fowlman01

fowlman01 Crowing

Sep 2, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    Quote:The RIW is still in the SOP and in fact in the 2010 edition.It comes in Rose Comb and Single Comb. The "Orloff" that was in the SOP only lasted for one edition and had a different body and comb than the ones people have now. I don't know why it was taken out, but it didn't look like anything out there now.

Walt

Thankyou very much for agreeing with me in exactly what it states in the SOP, I have been attacked by many, most, or I will say ALL of which do not even have RIW, and it has caused quite an arguement. Thanks, Walt !

I made a mistake in my post. Tired and not paying attention....will start over. The RIW comes in Rosecomb only. If anyone is selling RIW with a single comb that would be incorrect. In the Descriptions on page 50 it has the comb description for RIR and RIW. I can now see that the comb description should be made more clear as it could be deceiving if one were not to look at page 52 where it says Rhode Island Whites-rosecomb.

Walt

9. Chickielady

Mar 10, 2010
    Raymond, WA
    My Coop
    That, is EXACTLY my point !! Thank you for "seeing" the mess therein on Page 50...Hopefully it can be cleared up soon, as there are so many new chicken raisers buying Ideal Poultry's Singlecomb birds and they are NOT true RIW...I hate the way these new souls have been mislead...but it will continue, and what can we do about it ??

10. Chickielady

Mar 10, 2010
    Raymond, WA
    My Coop
    The best thing as I can see it, is to have the RIR and the RIW as far away from each other as possible.. (in the SOP ).....the way it has been in the SOP is as if they are truley a white or Red variation of the same breed.
    Oh well...let us go on from here and what can we do about it (SOP) ??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: