Rhode Island Whites

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Raindog7817, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Chickielady

Chickielady Spiritwood Farms

Mar 10, 2010
    Raymond, WA
    My Coop
    My RIW updated this morning:
    He would not stop crowing so alot of up on the tip toes shots..His back seems to be leveling, tail filling out & up, sickel feathers appearing, and his breast is like a shoe box under the breast feathers, a very spoiled Cockeral, he is 6 MO old, and trying to get through the gate cuz he sees me, goes on red alert for a treat...when he does not know I am watching, he is even more level backed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He is getting better....[​IMG]

2. Chickielady

Mar 10, 2010
    Raymond, WA
    My Coop
    Well have to post a pic of my cockeral at the show for Scraps...this is MOT, 7 mo old on the 27 of this month..took BV & BB and lost champion to a Buckeye, but we had so much fun & talked long with the judges about his slanted back problem & I am going to introduce SQ white rock to the bloodline to try & level the RIW's backs out..but the judges said other than that he is gorgeous in every other aspect, especially liked his face/comb/wattles & tail.
    OK now I am back to work...
    [​IMG]

3. chickendales

chickendales Songster

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    would like see him next to wyndotte and a RIR

4. Chickielady

Mar 10, 2010
    Raymond, WA
    My Coop
    He is much taller & slimmer than a wyandotte, and almost exactly like a RIR but for the slight back slant.
    There was a RIR Cock next to him & they wanted to spar, so I put up the paper..

5. chickendales

chickendales Songster

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:thanks from pic i couldnt tell that lovely bird

6. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:I agree, not like a wyandotte, not puffy or similar in shape.
    Congrats!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  7. The Wyandottes were across the aisle way and there was only handful few sickly looking ones...minus the one LF BLRW but that's not an accepted color...

8. Chickielady

Mar 10, 2010
    Raymond, WA
    My Coop
    The BLRW was "Roger" Boldogkennel's silly bird..he is a BLRW X game fowl cross, and stands up tall & puffs out like a fantail pigeon, very cute, and Diane was just practicing showing him.

RRF: What will Paul think of a Java with 1 outside curled toe ?
    Another DQ ?
    Or will that be overlooked as "Not genetic" ?

9. Quote:I don't know, it's hard to say. Last year my hen was shown as a pullet and won Reserve Best of Breed. This year, she got 3 out of five hens. So who knows??? Maybe he was tired by the time he got to my birds and did not notice the glaring white earlobes or the bright pink throat or maybe he needs to read up on the Sumatra SOP? Either way....I'm pretty disappointed. At least the other judge pulled out the ABA SOP and had it open to the Orloffs while critiquing my two cockerels.

I would say let your Java mature a little more...have you tried splinting his toe? I haven't tried showing my Sussex roo (whose comb is perfect, BTW) [​IMG] just because of his frostbitten, swollen toes. It certainly is not genetic and after seeing some of the sickly, DIRTY birds go through yesterday--maybe I should start showing him, too? [​IMG]

10. Chickielady

Mar 10, 2010
    Raymond, WA
    My Coop
    Off thread topic, but I agree, I could not believe how filthy and awful some birds looked..I saw 1 little bantam cochin ?
    That had every toe broken & curled back, and the feathers on it's feet were so soiled it was hard to tell the filth from the toes.
    The bird was very obviously not cared for at all...sad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: