Rhode Island Whites

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Raindog7817, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Chickielady

Chickielady Spiritwood Farms

Mar 10, 2010
    Raymond, WA
    My Coop
    Quote:Thankyou very much for agreeing with me in exactly what it states in the SOP, I have been attacked by many, most, or I will say ALL of which do not even have RIW, and it has caused quite an arguement. Thanks, Walt !

I made a mistake in my post. Tired and not paying attention....will start over. The RIW comes in Rosecomb only. If anyone is selling RIW with a single comb that would be incorrect. In the Descriptions on page 50 it has the comb description for RIR and RIW. I can now see that the comb description should be made more clear as it could be deceiving if one were not to look at page 52 where it says Rhode Island Whites-rosecomb.

Walt

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou ! You are the only one who has seen this "mess" in which many many "newbies" SEE right there under the big big letters on Page 50 it says Rhode Island Whites...a breif history and then it says : MALE: single and rose comb...I am not going into this again.
    I think Walt "sees" what the newbies see.
    Alot of them will argue with me or anyone else that is right there on page 50...it could actually be contested in a court...it is extremely poorly organized...extremely.
    Why these 2 breeds were even in the same Chapter is beyond me....
    so many people actually think the RIW is a white version of the RIR.......[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  2. fowlman01

fowlman01 Crowing

Sep 2, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    Quote:I made a mistake in my post. Tired and not paying attention....will start over. The RIW comes in Rosecomb only. If anyone is selling RIW with a single comb that would be incorrect. In the Descriptions on page 50 it has the comb description for RIR and RIW. I can now see that the comb description should be made more clear as it could be deceiving if one were not to look at page 52 where it says Rhode Island Whites-rosecomb.

Walt

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou ! You arwe the only one who has seen this "mess" in which many many "newbies" SEE right there under the big big letters on Page 50 it says Rhode Island Whites...a breif history and then it says : MALE: single and rose comb...I am not going into this again.
    I think Walt "sees" what the newbies see.
    Alot of them will argue with me or anyone else that is right there on page 50...it could actually be contested in a court...it is extremely poorly organized...extremely.
    Why these 2 breeds were even in the same Chapter is beyond me....
    so many people actually think the RIW is a white version of the RIR.......[​IMG]

When reading the SOP a person needs to read all the information on the breed. The correct info is on page 52. I'm not sure that I would say that the SOP is extremely disorganized by any means. This has never been confusing to anyone else, but thank you for drawing my attention to it as I can see that if the whole description is not read one could think the RIW comes in two comb varieties. Since the APA just printed 5000 of them, it won't be changed anytime soon, but I will see that it is clearer next time around. We don't know about these things unless someone brings it to our attention. This is the first time it has been questioned in over 40 years.The two breeds have to be in the same chapter and close to each other. if we moved it then we would really have some confusion. I can see how we can make it clearer though and I will do that.

Walt

3. Greenspur

Greenspur In the Brooder

Dec 8, 2008
    NY State
    C-lady
    Fowlman is right on this one and the SOP description is not really a problem if one only reads through to the RIW part. Perrin Johnson was a fancier in my neck of the woods back in the late nineteen thirties to forties that championed RIW. Anyone who is even remotely familiar with the SOP has known that RIW are only rose combs in the SOP since the beginning. In the 1924 SOP they had their own separate breed description but the shape words were identical to the RIR words. The pix of the RIW and RIR were identical in outline to. Perrin Johnson always said the RIR breeders had RIW envy and they shunned the RIW. It was probably a space saving thing when the description got condensed to the one in the SOP now. No big deal on the combs just read page 52 where it clearly says rosecomb under RIW.

I do recall an article in one of the old ABA yearbooks that had a pix of a SC RIW bantam in Australia. Maybe that's where all the SC junk started. If Ideal or any other hatchery wants to sell SC RIW along with their EEs well I guess it is a free country. SC RIW are not in the SOP and I think it is pretty clear or at least clear enough.

Another thing is that I think all of the RIW rose combs and single combs today are very recently made. Just before he died Perrin said that he thought they had gone extinct and he was one who should know. Urch, Frank Reese and other lines have likely all been recreated within the last couple of decades. I bet Ideal did the same thing. The pix of yours look pretty good but even they dont hark back to the ones back in the 1930's.

PC

4. Chickielady

Mar 10, 2010
    Raymond, WA
    My Coop
    Have you seen Scraps adult birds ? They are striking !
    Gorgeous birds...mine are babies, and will not mature for about a full year and take another year after that to fill out.
    I think fowlman knows what I am trying to say and I believe he will deal with it so there will be no more confusion to new chicken raisers.

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:It takes 2 years for a RIW to fill out? That is how long it takes for the slow growing Jersey Giant.

6. Chickielady

Mar 10, 2010
    Raymond, WA
    My Coop
    The best Java breeders say the same thing.
    The first year the bird is full grown, an "adult" and can breed, but in the following year the bird actually "fills out"...I do not know about that, just have been told.
    Same with RIR too I have heard.
    Saladin had a pic of his son's Java Cock posted a while back, remember ?
    And I was told for the bird to be fully "filled out" expect it to take a year and a half to 2 years.
    Filled out is fully formed across the breast and back.
    I have been told the birds fill out quite a bit their second year.

7. Chickielady

Mar 10, 2010
    Raymond, WA
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree totally with the APA SOP, but it is not me contesting it.
    It is the newbies who have purchased RIW s/c from hatcheries like Ideal and look in the SOP they only see the page 50 & 51, and it does say RIW and a brief history of the breed, and then Males: single and rose comb, then Females: single and rose comb.. then the next page goes into RIR...so people stop reading right there, and when I pointed out the Rhode Island White Rose comb pages later, where it describes the bird's color, these folks shug it off and say: "So ? That is a description of the rose comb variety, and I have s/c which is on 50 and 51"

See ?
    I cannot tell them there is noo such thing as a RIW s/c...
    The big problem lies in the way the SOP is formatted, and I am sure it will be re-written to be more descriptive.
    And hopefully say rose comb only.
    I have not seen RIW bantam fowl..in Austrailia....are they in both combs ?

Edited to add:
    As far as Ideal or anyother hatchery selling incorrect birds seems like fraud to me.
    If you adverstised a Ford and sold Chevrolets it would be farud...if it was a Labrador and sold as a pedigree German Shepard there would be repercussions as well, but not in the Poultry Industry...[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  8. tadkerson

tadkerson Songster

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Hatcheries cause problems when it comes to breeds and variates. The ameraucana and araucana and easter egger problems are a prime example.

Tim

9. Chickielady

Mar 10, 2010
    Raymond, WA
    My Coop
    absolutely.
    Seems like there would be a way to get them for fraud.
    You can't do it in any other industry that I know of.
    More news: Mot (my RIW cockeral 5 mo old) Crowed for the first time this morning ![​IMG]

10. Chickielady

Mar 10, 2010
    Raymond, WA
    My Coop
    Hello everyone !
    Boy this thread is just moving at the speed of light !
    I spied last night that someone is trying to auction bucket fulls of RIW standard comb eggs on e-bay, and boy do they ever look exactly like white rocks to me..and guess what, the seller is also auctioning white rocks that look exactly like his RIW [​IMG]
    Wow, there is just nothing we can do about so why get mad ?
    News::: My MOT RIW cockeral and his ladies are today, 6 mo old and presto!
    This morning was the first egg:
    I took pics with it in a XLarge carton of white store bought eggs for comparison...
    Got a little flash wash but it is a creamy brown a little darker than a rock egg and has many dark brown speckles...
    [​IMG]
    another view to show spots:
    [​IMG]
    Pretty big fart egg !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: