Rhonda The Warrior

kwil3400

In the Brooder
Dec 20, 2021
I found Rhonda battered and bloody in the coop. I think the roosters got her her down and did what roosters do, and possibly the rest of the flock pecked at her? At any rate, Rhonda came back to the house and the roosters, except for one were taken from the coop; down to the river. She was in a sorry state and I wondered if she would survive, she couldn't walk. I manipulated her legs every day for five weeks and finally got her back on her feet, she worked very hard. We had one other rooster, free ranging, (waiting to go to his new home) a most magnificent boy that I'd raised from a chicken. Anyway, he jumped the fence, and poor Rhonda (living on the deck) was caught up in his amorous desires. When I found her she was bleeding profusely from her vent, again I thought she might die! I also noticed that maggots had accumulated. So, I washed her vent under warm water with Choromide and the maggots evacuated. Now she has a smelly infection, so more warm baths and gently removing the yucky stuff and treating with peroxide and Chloromide baths - the smell has almost gone and she's eating well. However, she's back to finding it hard to stand - understandable. So, we're back to gentle massaging of her legs. She's such a beautiful girl, and allows me to do what I need to, I'd be very sad to lose her; she doesn't deserve it. She snuggles into me and purrs. Anyway, she's in the house now as I don't want any flies around her after the maggot situation. I've had her to the vet but I must say most vets don't know a lot about chooks, so I try to think of as many ways I can to help her! So far, she's still trooping on. Do any others out there have any suggestions as to how I might be able to help her more?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom