Redsinri

In the Brooder
May 9, 2020
Hi everyone,
Just want to introduce myself a bit. Name is Josh I live in Rhode Island and for Mother's Day my family is deciding to surprise my mother with chicks and to start a small family homestead. We have 3 RI Reds, 2 Barred Rocks, 1 Buff Orpington, and 2 Easter Eggers. We are picking the chicks up sometime this week (5/10/20-5/17/20) from a local suppler and I have been researching how to properly raise healthy egg laying chicks for a bit now. While researching I stumbled across this forum to help me get a general idea on what to do and pretty much every time I have had a question this forum had the answers or suggestions. Since the chicks will be here soon figured I would join the forum as well incase I have any questions on anything.

We already have our tote bin brooder ready to go, a screened cover top to keep the chicks in and dogs out, a gravity fed watering dish and small rocks to keep the chicks safe, a feeding trough, heat lamp with red bulb, and fine pine shavings for the brooder. Just need to get the feed.

SO WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO REALLY GET FEED BACK ON IS:
1) based on previous experiences should I have any concerns with the types of birds I got?
1a) how friendly is each breed
2) what kind and for how long should I feed the chicks medicated food (they are unvaccinated)
3) any thing else we should need to get for our brooder?
4) do we need something for the chicks to go under to sleep or just need the lamp?
5) what temp water do the chicks need? (iced, cool, warm, room temp?)
6) when and how do I know if we have to clean the chicks "poop butt"
7) do we have to dip all of the chicks beaks into the water or just one and it will teach the others? (read both ways are possible)
8) how can I introduce my dogs to the chicks so there won't be issues in the future (both dogs are small dogs- shitzu (12pounds)-dashund/pinscher mix(18pounds)-)
9) any homemade coops ideas? suggestions? i already built a 5 gallon bucket feeder for the coop and going to design a rainwater gutter 5 gallon bucket waterer with a PVC pipe with the chicken nibblers attached.
10) how big of a coop and run do we need for 8 chickens (they'll only be free ranging only
when we are outside with them we have hawks and bald eagles in the area)

any other starter tips and tricks would be appreciated!

Thanks everyone!
Rhode Island Red Chicken.png Plymouth Bard Rock Chicken.jpg Buff Orpingtons.jpg Easter Egger.jpg

Hello, Josh, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
You've asked a lot of questions!
A tote brooder is not going to hold 8 chicks for very long. You're going to need something larger. Visit some of the local big box stores and see if they have a refrigerator box or something large like that. That will be a much better brooder.
Consider using a brooder plate instead of a heat lamp. It's much better for the chicks that way.
You don't have to feed medicated starter. You do need to feed a starter with 18 to 20% protein.
Water should be room temperature. Consider making a baby bottle like pictured below.
If the baby's butt has poop stuck to it you should clean it off. They should not get poop stuck to their butts.
You need 4 sq ft per bird in the coop and 12 sq ft minimum per bird in the run.
The breeds you have selected should all get along just fine.
The dogs need to be introduced to the chicks when they are small. The dogs need to be corrected if they show too much interest in the chicks. I would be very careful with the min pin mix. I have a min pin and I would never allowed her near my chickens.

Hello, Josh, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
You've asked a lot of questions!
A tote brooder is not going to hold 8 chicks for very long. You're going to need something larger. Visit some of the local big box stores and see if they have a refrigerator box or something large like that. That will be a much better brooder.
Consider using a brooder plate instead of a heat lamp. It's much better for the chicks that way.
You don't have to feed medicated starter. You do need to feed a starter with 18 to 20% protein.
Water should be room temperature. Consider making a baby bottle like pictured below.
If the baby's butt has poop stuck to it you should clean it off. They should not get poop stuck to their butts.
You need 4 sq ft per bird in the coop and 12 sq ft minimum per bird in the run.
The breeds you have selected should all get along just fine.
The dogs need to be introduced to the chicks when they are small. The dogs need to be corrected if they show too much interest in the chicks. I would be very careful with the min pin mix. I have a min pin and I would never allowed her near my chickens.
Excellent advice!

Back
Top Bottom