Ribh's D'Coopage

I give medicated chick feed usually. I've got a couple of problems with this two mums though that I need to think through.
It's winter here and about the coldest few weeks ahead. It's not silly cold but at night it drops below freezing. The forage isn't all that great atm. I get problems trying to get the mums let the chicks eat the feed I provide. They get very pissy and even go for me when I try. It's a case of, 'I can look after my own kids thank you very much'.:rolleyes:
While I appreciate they most probably can, the chicks and the mother do better with some assistance. Basically, if mother doesn't tell them to eat it, they don't.
Knock, chose to lay and hatch in her tribes coop. Knock is the most junior hen in the tribe. Also in the tribe and in the coop is Myth and she's a baby killer.
Knock is a fairly aggressive hen and I'm hoping she will be willing, she's certainly able, to defender her chicks while she, they and the rest are in the coop.
Bracket (Tribe 2) also chose to sit and hatch in her tribe coop. The big difference is she is the most senior hen in the tribe, despite being barking mad. This is Brackets third hatch.
The first hatch she hatched one chick and deserted the nest with it. A few weeks later it seems she left the chick somewhere and I never saw it again.
The second hatch was a triple sit with her sisters. They took up the slack when Bracket lost her concentration. :rantShe may have learn't and improved, but her mother skills haven't been all that so far.
Wow, reading about these challenges I can see why people use brooders. But that's not really an option for you. It's very challenging! I hope the folks in your chicken club have some suggestions for you.

Wow, reading about these challenges I can see why people use brooders. But that's not really an option for you. It's very challenging! I hope the folks in your chicken club have some suggestions for you.
I think most chicken keepers have these types of problems. I have two maternity units which are in many respects outside brooders. Sitting and hatching in the coop has a lot of advantages for hen and chicks. The tribe get to know the chicks and the chicks the tribe from day one. There are no integration problems. When the hen takes the chicks out of the coop they have the option of following the tribe. This is also good but not all do.
My view, I realise it may not be popular with many people is losing chicks one way or another is likely and this is in truth how a feral population is controlled. Hens lay and hatch clutches because the survival rate is low compared to say a mammal.
I don't mind losing chicks. What I don't want is to lose a mum because she defended her chicks. I've lost some great hens this way. Most of the hens here will go broody if you show them an egg so they can lay and hatch more chicks.

I don't mind losing chicks. What I don't want is to lose a mum because she defended her chicks. I've lost some great hens this way. Most of the hens here will go broody if you show them an egg so they can lay and hatch more chicks.
My head says this is right & sensible but however hard I try my heart never seems to run in harness with my head. I find losing animals hard, however it happens & for whatever reason.

I haz chicks!:celebrate
Knock has hatched one out of three so far and Barking Bracket has hatched two out of....I'm not quite sure.:confused:
All the hens have gone very secretive and I think some I don't know about are in fact laying.
Nolia keeps disappearing into the bamboo in the mornings, so a search is on there; not an easy thing to do.
Donk's pin bones say she's laying but I don't have a clue where.
Mel and Hurry are laying in the house nest box and it looks like Tap and Moon will be laying soon.
It's going to be a nest hunt day tomorrow by the look of things.

Congratulations Shad! 🎉🎉

Back
Top Bottom