Ribh's D'Coopage

Shadrach

Roosterist
Jul 31, 2018
Catalonia, Spain
My Coop
My Coop
Wow, reading about these challenges I can see why people use brooders. But that's not really an option for you. It's very challenging! I hope the folks in your chicken club have some suggestions for you.
I think most chicken keepers have these types of problems. I have two maternity units which are in many respects outside brooders. Sitting and hatching in the coop has a lot of advantages for hen and chicks. The tribe get to know the chicks and the chicks the tribe from day one. There are no integration problems. When the hen takes the chicks out of the coop they have the option of following the tribe. This is also good but not all do.
My view, I realise it may not be popular with many people is losing chicks one way or another is likely and this is in truth how a feral population is controlled. Hens lay and hatch clutches because the survival rate is low compared to say a mammal.
I don't mind losing chicks. What I don't want is to lose a mum because she defended her chicks. I've lost some great hens this way. Most of the hens here will go broody if you show them an egg so they can lay and hatch more chicks.

Ribh

Crossing the Road
Dec 18, 2018
Island, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
My Coop
My Coop
I don't mind losing chicks. What I don't want is to lose a mum because she defended her chicks. I've lost some great hens this way. Most of the hens here will go broody if you show them an egg so they can lay and hatch more chicks.
My head says this is right & sensible but however hard I try my heart never seems to run in harness with my head. I find losing animals hard, however it happens & for whatever reason.

Aussie-Chookmum

Free Ranging
Apr 20, 2019
Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
I haz chicks!:celebrate
Knock has hatched one out of three so far and Barking Bracket has hatched two out of....I'm not quite sure.:confused:
All the hens have gone very secretive and I think some I don't know about are in fact laying.
Nolia keeps disappearing into the bamboo in the mornings, so a search is on there; not an easy thing to do.
Donk's pin bones say she's laying but I don't have a clue where.
Mel and Hurry are laying in the house nest box and it looks like Tap and Moon will be laying soon.
It's going to be a nest hunt day tomorrow by the look of things.
Congratulations Shad! 🎉🎉

Latest posts

Top Bottom