Ribh's D'Coopage

I believe some of it is determined by personality, much like with humans.
I think the overall health of the chicken also plays a part.
Sometimes the subsequent events after the injury or attack can stress the chicken even further. You can imagine a chicken that has just been subjected to a natural trauma does not react well if it is immediately grabbed by yet another predator (human) prodded and poked about and then forced to undergo various 'treatments'.

Again, I think a lot of this also depends on your keeping methods and relationship to the individual chicken, as well. When Bob my Barnvelder was stressed by the dogs during haying, then chased by his other cockerel buddies in the tractor, pinned and pecked pretty roughly and I “rescued” him (he had his head jammed under the tractor and Barney was attacking his exposed body and tail) it stressed him out way more. He bit me a lot and struggled, and it took almost ten minutes to fully calm him, then I had to get rid of the dogs, calm the other boys and get them back to their normal behaviors before I could safely return him to the bachelor pad

After owl attack #1 Sammy was heavily hugged, as were Hoppy and Mrs B, while I was hugging all three of them and checking Sammy for injuries, it took both Sammy and I making “reassuring noises” (him crooning and me talking to them) before Croppy finally emerged from hiding. Yes, I could hold all four traumatized chickens close to my chest together at once, and even carry the four out together in one trip, but it was because of how closely I have worked with those particular chickens.

After owl attack #2 some of the Littles in with Barney were quite traumatized and too easy to pick up, others were crazed and frantically avoiding the new “predator” that was just trying to bring them to safety on the other side of the barn and into a hardware cloth covered pen.

For more handsoff keeping situations where the birds aren’t being routinely handled I agree it is 100% probably more traumatizing when the receive treatment from us after an injury

I believe some of it is determined by personality, much like with humans.
I think the overall health of the chicken also plays a part.
Sometimes the subsequent events after the injury or attack can stress the chicken even further. You can imagine a chicken that has just been subjected to a natural trauma does not react well if it is immediately grabbed by yet another predator (human) prodded and poked about and then forced to undergo various 'treatments'.

There is a big difference in interactions between those chickens that actively seek human company, those that tolerate it & those that actively avoid it. Most of my present flock avoid being handled but enjoy my company ~ the exception being Suyin who enjoys being cuddled for some strange reason.

This extends into the pecking order because I meddled to ensure my smallest chicken got some good feed, not just crumbs or was constantly pushed off the food. This gives the lowest on the totem pole unexpected status & now most of my flock vies for the special treatment even though the food is exactly the same. The only difference is that Lottie eats in my lap unharassed. Suyin keeps trying but as she is a much bigger chicken & quite a pushy girl she has not been encouraged.

Because this is an all hen flock I have noticed any girl feeling under the weather will come & settle close to me , I think taking comfort from having her *rooster* nearby to protect her ~ @ least that's how it appears to me.

I have been reading everybody's threads today but not commenting...actually not even sure I've liked as I normally would. My doctor has been cutting skin cancers out of my face again & between a morbid fear & hate of any sort of needle & the massive headache the whole procedure has produced I'm not feeling quite my usual chipper self. Normal broadcasting should resume tomorrow. :)

Back
Top Bottom