Ribh's D'Coopage

That is known as “white fragility” (I am assuming your family is white, although that assumption alone shows prejudice!) and this is something my dad suffers from greatly. I dread spending time with him because of this, and even more so at the thought of my mum dying first (which she probably will). I anticipate a very frank discussion about which topics will be off-limits and I am dreading that also.
I'm not sure this is true. I don't believe in *white fragility*. However I know life experiences affect how we see the world. My fathers generation fought 2 wars & that really affected how they saw certain races ~ understandably I think. I remember my neighbour, a much decorated spitfire pilot, coming to me in tears & consternation because his daughter had married a Japanese man & was bringing him home for the first time & he didn't know how to react. His gut instinct was this man was an enemy whose people had done terrible things to ours but he really wanted to be hospitable to the man his daughter had chosen. We talked for a long time about how this was a different generation that should not be held accountable for the sins of their forefathers. I think he ended up doing a great job but it is not terribly helpful imo, to judge without understanding. My dad was a shocker but he flew perfectly healthy, fit young men into PNG & dragged the maimed, crippled, blinded shells of men home again & it deeply traumatised him ~ as it did so many of that generation. There is usually a reason for the way people think as they do & I usually try to understand that reason.

I'm not sure this is true. I don't believe in *white fragility*. However I know life experiences affect how we see the world. My fathers generation fought 2 wars & that really affected how they saw certain races ~ understandably I think. I remember my neighbour, a much decorated spitfire pilot, coming to me in tears & consternation because his daughter had married a Japanese man & was bringing him home for the first time & he didn't know how to react. His gut instinct was this man was an enemy whose people had done terrible things to ours but he really wanted to be hospitable to the man his daughter had chosen. We talked for a long time about how this was a different generation that should not be held accountable for the sins of their forefathers. I think he ended up doing a great job but it is not terribly helpful imo, to judge without understanding. My dad was a shocker but he flew perfectly healthy, fit young men into PNG & dragged the maimed, crippled, blinded shells of men home again & it deeply traumatised him ~ as it did so many of that generation. There is usually a reason for the way people think as they do & I usually try to understand that reason.
My Dad's generation were kids during WWII but he would have been heavily influenced by his parents etc.

Interestingly, while he is quite bigoted to other cultures in general, once he gets to know an individual from another culture he will often say nice things about them....quite often in a surprised tone.... :confused:

The chaos is real.
While his parents tried to get their life in order I took oldest out to the chickens.
He was perfectly happy in chicken jail doling out corn & making tentative overtures of friendship ~ not hard if you have a container of corn & hungry chickens! :lau

View attachment 2246817
You're making lots of progress on you coop :)

My Dad's generation were kids during WWII but he would have been heavily influenced by his parents etc.

Interestingly, while he is quite bigoted to other cultures in general, once he gets to know an individual from another culture he will often say nice things about them....quite often in a surprised tone.... :confused:
Was he old enough for Korea? My generation got Vietnam. I hold some very unorthodox views as a consequence. It was a taboo subject between my father & I.

Back
Top Bottom