Ribh's D'Coopage

I am not having a good trot.
I collected eggs earlier, Lavender's amongst them.
I just went to check on my girls & Lavender was stiff as a board in the coop run! 🥺 She looked like she may have been dustbathing ~ which I guess is a nice way to go for a chook. There might have been one very tiny puncture mark on her neck ~ but in all honesty I have no idea what happened. The girls all watched as I buried her in the garden @ the end of the run. She's close by & still has the company of her flock. She was unique & I think will be missed by the flock.

I think I'm going to take a few days away. I'll see how I go but 2 in such a sort space is pretty difficult.

View attachment 2425355
Lavender was such a beautiful big girl... I am so sorry for your loss. And coming so soon on the heels of Mhari :hugs I have no words she was one of my favorites in your flock.:hit

Someone also needs to lead the flock with all the change occurring. Whether she wants the job or not. I think it's better that someone who has been around a while is still there for the rest of the flock.
I've been thinking about this & :fl Aoife doesn't get ideas!!! She has alpha hen tendencies but she's a Campine & under 2 years with a tendency to lead the flock into trouble! 🙄 I really need my mature girls to step up!

Lavender was such a beautiful big girl... I am so sorry for your loss. And coming so soon on the heels of Mhari :hugs I have no words she was one of my favorites in your flock.:hit
One of mine too. Even the man was upset. They aren't real easy to get either & they really add a touch of flair to a flock. She was a good layer too! The flock balance is now off. Too many young flighty girls & not enough calm balanced older girls. It may sort itself out in another day or two but just now the lunatics are running the asylum & that's not good for any of us.

This is exactly right! The BRs are 1&2, then Luna & I think Ha'penny, who is a complete lunatic. The flock needs Luna, who is @ least completely sane, especially while the BRs are doing their broody thing. I think the BRs are back on deck. They were showing no interest in the nesting boxes earlier.
It would be very good if the BRs could pay attention to the flock for a while as well. :fl Hopefully they are done trying.

They can be quite a calming influence as well.

It would be very good if the BRs could pay attention to the flock for a while as well. :fl Hopefully they are done trying.

They can be quite a calming influence as well.
Yes. They are steady as she goes girls & my flock needs a little of that. The Campines are lovely but they are wild & unpredictable & not real savvy about keeping everyone together. The BRs do that much better.

I've been thinking about this & :fl Aoife doesn't get ideas!!! She has alpha hen tendencies but she's a Campine & under 2 years with a tendency to lead the flock into trouble! 🙄 I really need my mature girls to step up!
It would probably be best if one of the BRs took over for sure. You do need to keep an eye on Aoife for the future.

Back
Top Bottom