Ribh's D'Coopage

It's Caturday here

20210617_075326.jpg
20210619_110605.jpg
20210603_144206.jpg

I'm very glad they have adjusted to it well. I figured they would. It looks wonderful.
They've already figured out they will be let out earlier. :lol: They were agitating as soon as they saw me this morning. And Morrigu & Alpia have been on the small coop roof investigating escape possibilities. 🙄:lau

They've already figured out they will be let out earlier. :lol: They were agitating as soon as they saw me this morning. And Morrigu & Alpia have been on the small coop roof investigating escape possibilities. 🙄:lau
Morrigu: I can't see a way out, can you?

Alpia: Nope. Want to try digging.a tunnel?

M: We might have to.

Some time ago I ran a segment I called Chook of the Week.
I had a much smaller flock back then & quickly ran out of subjects. Now my flock is much larger & some of the girls get lost in the shuffle so I thought I would go through them one by one, giving each girl a chance to be beautiful & special in their own right. I will start each week on the Sunday, which is my least busy day usually, & post pictures of the girl in question each day for the week.
I am going to start with

DESDEMONA.
Desdemona is a Japanese Bantam. As the name suggests they originated in Japan & are one of the few true bantam breeds. There is no standard counterpart. As so much of what Japan has done, these birds were bred as ornamentals, rather than for egg laying capacity or meat. They are absolutely tiny, as are their eggs. Adult hens only weigh about 400gms.
They have a large single comb, extremely short legs & a lovely arched tail that sits forward. The wings are large & carried low, often dragging along the ground. Because of their short legs they aren't all that good @ foraging & digging so if you like your lawns they are one chicken least likely to cause damage. However they are pretty good little fliers!

The gene for short legs is one of those lethal genes, like the blue gene in Aracaunas, so 25% of chicks are unlikely to hatch & of those that do not all will have the short legs to breed standard. Breeding can be quite difficult ~ not to say heartbreaking.

However they are an extremely popular chicken. They have lovely temperaments being docile & friendly & very easy to handle. Plus with proper care & housing they can be extremely long lived birds ~ 13+years.

I have 4 of these beauties @ present; 2 blacks & 2 whites. They are all wonderful little chickens. Desdemona is very chatty when handled * always one of the 1st to approach me to say hello whenever I am out in the yard. She was also the 1st of her intake to decide I wasn't the ogre from hell & has always been an absolute sweetie.

They aren't particularly cold hardy & I have noticed Desdemona is roosting under a Vorwerk now our temps are dipping into single figures. I am very fond of this lovely girl & am so happy to have a number of this lovely breed. For those wanting lap chickens they are super affectionate & easy to tame & I don't think it would take much to have an adorable little lap chicken.

20210313_180932 (2).jpg

I had a much smaller flock back then & quickly ran out of subjects. Now my flock is much larger & some of the girls get lost in the shuffle so I thought I would go through them one by one, giving each girl a chance to be beautiful & special in their own right. I will start each week on the Sunday, which is my least busy day usually, & post pictures of the girl in question each day for the week.
I am going to start with

DESDEMONA.
Desdemona is a Japanese Bantam. As the name suggests they originated in Japan & are one of the few true bantam breeds. There is no standard counterpart. As so much of what Japan has done, these birds were bred as ornamentals, rather than for egg laying capacity or meat. They are absolutely tiny, as are their eggs. Adult hens only weigh about 400gms.
They have a large single comb, extremely short legs & a lovely arched tail that sits forward. The wings are large & carried low, often dragging along the ground. Because of their short legs they aren't all that good @ foraging & digging so if you like your lawns they are one chicken least likely to cause damage. However they are pretty good little fliers!

The gene for short legs is one of those lethal genes, like the blue gene in Aracaunas, so 25% of chicks are unlikely to hatch & of those that do not all will have the short legs to breed standard. Breeding can be quite difficult ~ not to say heartbreaking.

However they are an extremely popular chicken. They have lovely temperaments being docile & friendly & very easy to handle. Plus with proper care & housing they can be extremely long lived birds ~ 13+years.

I have 4 of these beauties @ present; 2 blacks & 2 whites. They are all wonderful little chickens. Desdemona is very chatty when handled * always one of the 1st to approach me to say hello whenever I am out in the yard. She was also the 1st of her intake to decide I wasn't the ogre from hell & has always been an absolute sweetie.

They aren't particularly cold hardy & I have noticed Desdemona is roosting under a Vorwerk now our temps are dipping into single figures. I am very fond of this lovely girl & am so happy to have a number of this lovely breed. For those wanting lap chickens they are super affectionate & easy to tame & I don't think it would take much to have an adorable little lap chicken.

View attachment 2726171
I am going to start with

DESDEMONA.

View attachment 2726171
She is adorable! 🥰

Back
Top Bottom