Ribh's D'Coopage

It’s been unbelievably windy here today. Not as windy as it used to get at my old house but almost which is pretty bad for here. Another four weeks of lockdown….great….
Rats. Four weeks!

Oh well, they wouldn't put you in lockdown if they didn't have to.

It’s been unbelievably windy here today. Not as windy as it used to get at my old house but almost which is pretty bad for here. Another four weeks of lockdown….great….
Wind here today too but we should be mask free by Friday. yay! :clap

That's very promising. Fingers crossed she looks ok on closer inspection :fl
Yep. I'm a pretty lousy Dr though. I refused any practical science all through High school. Well, my math wasn't up to chemistry or physics & I wasn't cutting dead things up for anyone. So totally gross!! So even pretty basic stuff is beyond me. It's why my vet bills are so high. 🤣

I swear I do not know how I ever raised 5 kids. I had the grandies for 2 days & 2 nights & while their dad arrived last night to help out & take them away this morning I feel like I need a year's rest! 🙄

In the middle of the mayhem GS yelled out that Beatha had a bloody beak. We all know blood is never good ~ especially when we're talking chickens. I had noticed her earlier with her head tucked under her wing & both my head hen & her 2nd standing watch over her but had thought nothing of it. My flock is in a constant state of flux.

View attachment 2775644

I grabbed her & brought her inside. She had a mouthful of blood & was gurgling away & I was absolutely horrified. I've never seen or read about anything like this. She seems OK this morning & is eating & drinking. I will check her mouth before I release her with the girls but my best bet is she managed to cut her mouth or tongue somehow on something she found. No idea what. Traumatising - that's been what my last 24 hours have been.
Goodness! No wonder you need a rest.
I hope Beatha is ok. That must have been scary.:hugs

Is she drinking? If she can drink she likely has a tongue, and it will also help clean he mouth out a bit so you can see better.
The tongue is very vascular (at least it is in mammals) so a cut of the tongue would likely bleed a fair bit. Maybe she found something nasty and sharp and tried eating it?
I agree with RC. You can't easily swallow without a tongue. Has the bleeding stopped completely?
She seems to be fine. I will try & grab her in the morning & have another look. She was active, foraging, eating, drinking today so...:idunno
That's good news. :clap

Back
Top Bottom