Ribh's D'Coopage

My approach is to write a little, often.

Ideally, twice every day I'd write a little with the readings handy. Hopefully that way I get 3-4 hours of writing in every day. But of course, sometimes meetings and other commitments get in the way.

When I'm reading, I print the paper off and write notes all over it. I also have a colour-coded sticky note system for when I read longer pieces like books: red sticky note for questions raised, green stick note for excellent things, yellow for my own ideas that crop up. Highlighter pens are also super handy for remembering great quotes and key points.

And every day I use EndNote with Word to keep all the references neat and tidy. it took me a while to learn how to use EndNote but it pays off over and over again.
Your approach is admirable - but way too organized for me. I have a different strategy. It can be summed up as follows: procrastinate as long as possible while absorbing things through my skin then at the last possible minute work round the clock until it is done.
@Ribh - please follow MJ's approach not mine.

Thanks, MJ. That's super helpful. Now if I can just be that disciplined...🤣
One of the most practical and helpful bits of advice I ever received was 'park on the hill"

What she meant was that this kind of writing invites us to very carefully ponder diverse views on the same topic for weeks at a time. As it should, life gets in the way and disturbs the thinking. So, as you walk away from it, leave reminder notes for yourself so you can make a quick start when you come back to it, like parking a car on a hill to make a quick start.

That makes me feel sooo much better. I'm starting to think I may have bitten off more than I can comfortably chew. :hmm
You'll be fine. If you manage one or two hours of reading and writing each day, 2000-3000 will accrue within a week or two.

Your approach is admirable - but way too organized for me. I have a different strategy. It can be summed up as follows: procrastinate as long as possible while absorbing things through my skin then at the last possible minute work round the clock until it is done.
@Ribh - please follow MJ's approach not mine.
That wouldn't work for me. I'd get sick.

Thanks!

I was telling my friend all about it last night and now I've managed to get her worked up and she doesn't even keep chickens!
You have managed to spread anxiety around the globe - frankly I am happy with the time difference because it means I can tell myself to calm down because it is in fact the middle of the night for you.
You said Monday right? So that is Sunday for me which is practically tomorrow!!
:eek:

Oh thank God. I was feeling maybe I would like you just a little less if you really pulled it off that way!
Now I know you are human too I am feeling better.
I really do use the colour coding and EndNote habitually but I need to be waaay more defensive of my reading, thinking and writing time.

Back
Top Bottom