Ribh's D'Coopage

Still gorgeous though.

Ha'penny must be 4 years old now. Have I got that right?
Yes. I think she's started to ease up on her laying but with her moult it's hard to know for sure. I'm really glad I have her & Aoife still with the tribe. Their skittishness= predator awareness & I'm pretty sure they are what is alerting the rest of the girls to danger.

This morning has been slightly traumatic.
I was in the shower when the hawk put in an appearance.
By the time I got outside my girls were scattered to the 4 winds & the hawk could still be seen clutching what I took to be a Mynah bird in its talons.
I did a head count & was missing girls. Most were huddled in the shed obviously terrified. Portia turned up on the outside nest. Olivia & Shuri were squashed under the BBQ & quivvering with fear but look as I might I couldn't find Chavi anywhere. I scoured the yard. No Chavi. I went round again looking for small black feathers but a small black hen is difficult to spot @ the best of times. A terrified small black hen is impossible. I checked all her usual hidey~holes & couldn't spot her. Sadly I went inside to work on my assignment hoping she would turn up when everyone ventured out again. She didn't. I checked again & finally found her stuffed well back in a deep, dark hidey~hole.​
View attachment 3121071

She was the last one to venture out to enjoy the thin sunshine & everyone is very nervouse. That hawk is a pest but there is little I can do about it as I don't own this property. I am just grateful the girls are being predator aware & everyone is surviving. Chavi is such a sweetheart I would hate to lose her.

View attachment 3121076
Poor little thing. She did a great job hiding!

I think we all are, Lozzy. :( Our grass is getting slimy, which I hate. I have to be so careful crossing the yard as it's got slippery.
The sun is out today so I’ve skipped all my exercise activities today to do a mountain of laundry. I might also see if I can finish the paving where the quarantine coop is going to live.

By the time I got outside my girls were scattered to the 4 winds & the hawk could still be seen clutching what I took to be a Mynah bird in its talons.
I did a head count & was missing girls. Most were huddled in the shed obviously terrified. Portia turned up on the outside nest. Olivia & Shuri were squashed under the BBQ & quivvering with fear but look as I might I couldn't find Chavi anywhere. I scoured the yard. No Chavi. I went round again looking for small black feathers but a small black hen is difficult to spot @ the best of times. A terrified small black hen is impossible. I checked all her usual hidey~holes & couldn't spot her. Sadly I went inside to work on my assignment hoping she would turn up when everyone ventured out again. She didn't. I checked again & finally found her stuffed well back in a deep, dark hidey~hole.​
View attachment 3121071

She was the last one to venture out to enjoy the thin sunshine & everyone is very nervouse. That hawk is a pest but there is little I can do about it as I don't own this property. I am just grateful the girls are being predator aware & everyone is surviving. Chavi is such a sweetheart I would hate to lose her.

View attachment 3121076
All I can say is I know your terror all too well. I'm super glad they are all well and accounted for. The pit in your stomach is something that you never forget. I'm sorry you and the ladies had to deal with this today.

:hugs :hugs :hugs

Poor little thing. She did a great job hiding!

All I can say is I know your terror all too well. I'm super glad they are all well and accounted for. The pit in your stomach is something that you never forget. I'm sorry you and the ladies had to deal with this today.
They must have had more predator scares on the island than I was aware of as they are being super careful here. I hate to see them so scared but I am proud of how they are protecting themselves. The little ones are often running between cover and a big hen, which is really smart, & no-one is lingering in the open.

They must have had more predator scares on the island than I was aware of as they are being super careful here. I hate to see them so scared but I am proud of how they are protecting themselves. The little ones are often running between cover and a big hen, which is really smart, & no-one is lingering in the open.
That's how mine spend their lives now. Always under cover. Scoot across the yard. I'll probably jinx myself but there has been no sign of hawks for wells around here. I think the cat and the plethora of available food elsewhere is encouraging them to hunt elsewhere. Fingers crossed.

View attachment 3121071

View attachment 3121076
Phew! I almost couldn’t read to the end I was afraid of what happened. I am so glad they are all safe.
:hugs

Lovely. That will do in the interim.:D
She is dreaming of being a cheetah. Does that help?
5A62A3E8-DC38-4DB5-86B4-BA757CF69839.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom