Ribh's D'Coopage

Both of mine are rescues~ bonded brothers. One suckles, the other doesn't. It's Kirby, the more highly strung, neurotic cat who still suckles.
Very interesting, it would make me think different cats react differently to early weaning, maybe depending on their level of physical development.
And I suppose it's not only about the physical effects of weaning but the anxiety of being separated from their mum too early.

Very interesting, it would make me think different cats react differently to early weaning, maybe depending on their level of physical development.
And I suppose it's not only about the physical effects of weaning but the anxiety of being separated from their mum too early.
Probably right.
Nightshade is a big cat apparently healthy and not particularly anxious. But he clearly finds suckling the fleece in my bed deeply comforting.

Africa is clearly the most flighty & temperamental of the new birds.
Everyone else, while cautious, allowed me to pick them up & put them back in their cage. Not Africa. Clearly anxious because everyone else had been captured & removed, she called & called but was having none of me.
Africa lost a couple of tail feathers as she zoomed past & I made a grab for her. 🤣
She ended up in amongst the buckets & spades in the laundry shed.
For her pains she was made to cuddle.
Silly chook settled happily. She is big enough to handle without damage so she may be on a course of compulsory cuddles until she settles down.

20231118_171636.jpg

I know mine had a traumatic start in life. They were dumped, motherless, in the pouring rain before their eyes were even opened. The shelter worked round the clock to save them & they have the loveliest natures. It's hard to believe they weren't wanted.

They were older kittens when I acquired them & all indicators suggested Marlow would be neediest. He cried any time I was out of sight & my household was often heard screaming: Mum! Come get your cat. He's crying for you! However, as they matured Kirby almost always gave way to Marlow but while outwardly more independent, he's always been a suckler. He gets very intense about it. He's also the lap sitter & smoocher. Marlow is no less affectionate but prefers to sit beside me rather than on me. His love language is really hard chin rubs.😆

Back
Top Bottom