Rich Text Editor or BB Code editor?

kathyinmo

Nothing In Moderation
12 Years
May 14, 2009
(SW MO) Nevada, Missouri
My Coop
My Coop
Which one do you use? Why? I guess I don't know what the difference is.
hu.gif

I use BBCode. While it makes the quoting code messy, being on BYC for a long time has made typing out the smiley codes a reflex. :lol: I find it a lot easier to type quickly when I don't have to keep stopping to insert a smiley. :p

Even the italics has grown on me over time, and having to highlight then click the I would throw me out of whack. :old

I don't know much about them but I do know the smileys are available in the reply box where you can see them in BB, whereas in rich test you have to click on an icon then get a page of smileys to choose from -- and you can only choose one. To get two, you have to click on the icon and pull the page up again.

So far I've used rich text mostly to try to figure out the difference.

Subscribing to see what our knowledgeable members can teach us about this!

Last edited:
I've done the same as flockwatcher, been using the Rich Text. I actually have been considering switching back to the BB Code for the same reasons as Fierlin, because I like typing out the smileys -- it's so much faster. And almost 5 years of it on the old platform kinda got me in the habit. I like using the and and http://. And I like typing out :lol: :thumbsup and :rolleyes:.

In the Rich Text you just click a button. I suppose for those who never learned the BB Code the Rich Text is simpler, but for those who have been using BB Code for at least a year probably use it out of habit now.

Last edited:
The Rich Text Editor is what is referred to in "computer slang" as WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get). You can format text in your post and you'll already know what your post is going to look like without clicking the Preview button.

The BBCode Editor is more like using HTML... You have to know specific codes and the placement of those codes in order to format your text. Luckily, BBCode is pretty simple and most people who are forced to use it (like on "old BYC") can pick it up pretty easily. You have to click "Preview" to make sure your text shows up formatted as you hoped it would.

I like BBCode on my laptop because I don't have to stop typing and move my hand to the mouse to format my text. I can just type in the formatting as I go using the codes. That said, I have been using the Rich Text Editor since we moved to the new platform because it is the default and I wanted to get used to it.

The WYSIWYG(Pronounced wysi-wyg)

is best suited for less tech-friendly people. How ever the BBcode is suited for both, (very easy to learn). How ever i use the WYSIWYG, on soruce mode (as i hate the BBcode, as well as i don't like this WYSIWYG functions). I only do this because i know HTML

I've got a request in to have the smiley codes parsed as smilies in the rich text editor, but that might be tricky to do since it is a totally different system.

I was tempted to go back to the BBcode editor like we had on the other site, but once you get use to this editor it is hard to go back to bbcode. :D

The new editor is a bit like what I would get on my blog. :p
Do the forum codes for smileys outside of BYC still work though?

I suppose those of us who are veterans of the BBCode do prefer to type out smileys.

The word ":caf" has become almost an unconscious reflex when I finish typing a long sentence. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom