ringnecks as foster parents

95yj

Songster
10 Years
Nov 25, 2009
Central Vermont
I've been trying to breed a silky hen ringneck for a few years with little success, most of my males were too old etc. I got rid of a few other birds (pigeons) and now have time to focus on breeding my silky. I want to get the maximum number of chicks as stock for next year before winter hits, all i currently have for doves are my silky and her mate and a really old pair past breeding age (and a few extras). i was wondering if the older pair could still foster even though their old. (they aren't that old even, they still lay and may be able to hatch, not sure i was taking the eggs away, the cock is at least 6 or 7 years old but still tries his best. But i was wondering if i stuck some silky eggs under them if they would be able to take care of the babies. thanks.

Try to time it so that they are cycling within a couple of days of the silky hen, and they should foster the eggs easily. I use homer crosses to foster my Birmingham roller eggs in order to maximize production. Usually if you remove pigeon eggs they start another round within ten to twelve days. Don't push a hen too hard or you can deplete her calcium resources. I usually foster two rounds and then let the pair raise the third round. Although I don't have any experience with doves, I would guess that they operate in the same fashion. If the fosters and the pair you are taking the eggs from are not on the same cycle, the foster parents may not produce pigeon milk, and the young will starve.

yeah, i was mostly wondering if birds beyond breeding age could still produce milk, but i also wasn't sure about the cycling either, so thanks.

Back
Top Bottom