RingWorm!!

marymac

Songster
11 Years
Jul 12, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Can chickens get ring worm, and if they do how do you treat it? I think I have it and I've not been around any one with it nor have I been around any other animals except my chickens, but i really don't handle them except for my 2 silkies, I pick them up once in a while, but they look fine. What gives?

Quote:
People usually get i from handling cats and dogs. Haven't heard of it in chickens.
Easy to treat with a antifungal at the pharmacy. Just ask your pharmacist to recommend one. Use it twice a day for 2 weeks, even after the little red ring goes away. Don't worry - it is a plant, not an animal that is on you!
It is a fungus, like a mushroom, so no worries.

Ringworm can be in the environment. It can be on people's clothing too.... ringworm is yucky. Sorry you picked it up, I knew someone who had a serious issue with all their animals and ringworm and then in the process of treating them all, got it themselves.

the chances of a chicken getting or being the source of ringworm is pretty slim to none.
Chickens have a different skin structure that humans. and ringworm (or at least the most common variety seen) is found on humans, cats, dogs and any animals with HAIR. It is also most commonly picked up from the dirt outside.
Do realize that if you have ringworm it is HIGHLY contagious to any of your family members.
so always wear clothes over the areas that have it when you sleep or sit on furnature.
Do not scratch the ringworm, cause this will cause it to spread like wild fire!!!
go to the doctors ASAP to get cream to put on. you can also use athletes foot cream on the spots, but prescription cream will clear it up faster.
Apply the cream TWICE a day and rub in good to affected area and the surrounding borders of the infection.

Hope this helps,
Laura

Thanks for the incouragment. I have been putting athletes foot cream on it, and it seems to be helping, but I can't figure out how I got it. I thought maybe my chickens have it and I got it by handling an egg. I have been doing some canning and possibly got it from the garden soil, or if it is a fungus maybe it was air borne, but I got it on my stomach. Oh well, there's a fungus among us,lol. im sure it will go eventually, but dang I hate this stuff! Glad to hear it probably isn't my chickens though.

Quote:
It is commonly first seen on the torso, arms, and face, it you get it in your Hair you MUST see a doctor cause that is a different stran and needs oral medication to treat or it will leave you bald if left un treated.
Most likely you got it from the soil, or animals. But you can also get it from humans that have it and do not know it yet, or things that they have touched. I suggest washing your bed sheets in hot water an using lysol to spray what you have touched recently...an remember to keep loose clothes on the affected area
smile.png

Best Wishes,
Laura

My son has ringworm. And I'm beginning to wonder if it is from the chickens. I checked my cats and dog, and don't see anything unusual. Just today (1.5 weeks after treating my son) that one of my chicken's face/head is missing hair...her skin looks like light pink and her comb is still bright red. It just doesn't look right. Could it be my chicken has ringworm? I sure hope not, I have 30 chickens!

My son has ringworm. And I'm beginning to wonder if it is from the chickens. I checked my cats and dog, and don't see anything unusual. Just today (1.5 weeks after treating my son) that one of my chicken's face/head is missing hair...her skin looks like light pink and her comb is still bright red. It just doesn't look right. Could it be my chicken has ringworm? I sure hope not, I have 30 chickens!

I keep getting them... I've never had one in my life and now for the past 4 months (I've had chickens for about 6) they are popping up faster than I can put cream on them! I don't understand.

I know this is an older thread but wanted to say that in the process of fostering rescue puppies with terrible ringworm I caught it myself and went through round after round of prescription treatments but nothing broke the cycle. My own dogs caught it as well. It was endless. The only thing that broke the cycle for all of us was usnea tincture. It is an herbal antifungal (antiviral and antibacterial as well) available on line or you can even make your own if you have access to this wonderful lichen. I have taken it internally (30 drops a day in some juice) and even given it to my dogs, cats and chickens (at lesser dose per weight). Having tried it externally and internally I found taking it internally worked way better. Hope this helps someone.

Chickens can, and do get ringworm… And it is not as uncommon as we read on Google or other online resources. My neighbors chickens have it… And I’m not sure if it’s safe to eat the eggs of chickens infected with ringworm. Does anyone know for sure!?

Back
Top Bottom