1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ringworm?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Justino, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    can chickens get ringworm and give it to humans? my aunt thinks my cousin has rigworm and i wanna make sure she didnt et it from the girls...

2. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    would my chickens have a mark on em or something?

3. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Great question, I will be waiting to see too. I know cats are bad about having ringworms if your friend has been around cats.

4. risurocket

risurocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Wisconsin
  5. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    There was a thread on this some time ago. The 'ringworm' turned out to be eczema which is not contageous and much more common. Best to see a doctor about rashes so that the right treatment is obtained.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Ringworm is a fungus. If a bird has favus, a fungal infection of the face and comb, I'm not sure they can pass that to humans or not, cant recall. Looks like scaly patches and peeling skin on a bird. Its treated with anti-fungals like Lotrimin, etc.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by